Suggestions for Kayak Research

Kev-mo

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Malone makes some great products for transporting kayaks!

Thanks! Looks like the roof stuff is to attach to factory racks which I do not have.

So... I either get a Yakima type system and use straps to tie the kayak to that or buy one of the specialty kayak holders to attach to the crossbars OR... if I had factory racks/cross bars I could strap the kayak to those or buy the specialty kayak holders that attach to the cross bars. Am I on the right track?

Buy a roof rack. I would suggest you stay away from the foam blocks unless they are placed as close to the front & back as possible. 

Your car roof will flex and after a year or so I think it will cause  the liner to come lose. It feels like a fly is waking around on top of your head.

It will make you crazy  when are driving!

Bill 

• 3 weeks later...

As I recently went through this, Ill share my thoughts.

If you're unsure this is for you, try rentals, demo paddles or getting some seat time at the bare minimum.

The kayak I got is heavy.  Heavy as in 85-90lbs.  I did get it through Rocktown Adventures.  It was a new 2016 that I got last fall.  It pays to shop.  Realizing that was a challenge to car topping and pretty much everything else, I adapted.

I made a diy PVC cart to help with getting to and from the water.  Haven't tested it as yet as just finished the paint on it.

I have some tall ceilings in my garage, so I went with a hoist setup.  It's great. I pull into the garage with the kayak on the car, and up it goes.  When I want to head out, I lower it, strap it down, and go.

There are number of solutions to aid with car topping.  I've got a regular Yakima roof rack fro. Rackswarehouse.com.  They ran a 20% off deal for a long while.  There is an extension type bar that overhangs your car to the side while attaching to your rack.  This allows you to put one end up and then work the other onto the rack.  I think the part is RUSL from rhino racks.

On PFDs, I wanted a type ii.  That's the type that will help in righting you face up in event you're unconscious.  I am a fairly decent swimmer.  If im going into the water, I want my head up and out.  The problem is that most/all fishing geared PFDs are type iii.  These aren't as likely to right the swimmer.  So what to do...  I found Cabelas makes a type ii inflatable.  Bonus is that it's light and cooler than most.  Negative is it's an inflatable.  I've tested the bladder and will be doing the co2 shortly.

Paddles - People say spend your money here.  I think that's an ideal world call.  Yes, using $30 paddles from Wally World suck, but they work.  That said, if you're on the water for a long time, then I recommend investing.

Hope it helps.

Andy

• 10 months later...

Yes Yakima gear is expensive. With that said I bought a roller loader for the back of my Hyundi and loading is pretty slick even for a 64 year old. I purchased a 10 .5 Pescador Pro 100 for river and small lakes . it 55 lbs Sot and from my experience it's pretty tough. I believe it built on the old tarpon hull and tracks straight especially for a smaller yak. I have hit a few large submerged rocks , and dumped it and it ended into a log jam without losing the seat and any gear that was in the front nose covered department. has a comfortable lawn chair seat with high and low settings and i bought it from Ack with a 240 cc Werner paddle which was in the 120.00 dollar range. My extra equipment is a paddle leash , homemade anchor and a couple of plano 7400 boxes which fit under the seat.

The enjoyment of exploring different water and mobility to haul has been great. Good luck in your hunt for YOUR yak!

• 1 month later...

I bought a Sportrack SR 1002 roof rack to toss on my older Corolla. Its not Aero but its all metal and its solid and most importantly grabs the car so well there is no way it can come off.

For SOTs they are flat top for the most part all I do is flip the yak over so hull is up and I lay it on top of cross bars. I have rubber wrapped around the cross bars. I use good yakima straps and a good method of strapping the yak down I could drive 80mph into a 20mph wind no worries. Rock solid.

No way I would pay $450 dollars for a yakima or thule roof rack plus 100-200 for a kayak holder, its not necessary. The SportracK crossbars I bought was $120 at the time.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SportRack-SR1002-Square-Crossbar-Bare-Roof-Rack-System-50-5-Inches-Black/23578463