Fishing during spawning time

Mark O'Donnell

I saw quite a few fish on beds last week. I still kept fishing, but moved my way around the beds so I wouldn't disturb the fish. They weren't interested in anything I was presenting, and I wasn't persuing them actively, either.

I saw quite a few fish on beds last week. I still kept fishing, but moved my way around the beds so I wouldn't disturb the fish. They weren't interested in anything I was presenting, and I wasn't persuing them actively, either.

The fishing is slower because x% aren't feeding, the bigger fish right now are incogneto. If you can stand fishing 7 hours and coming out with a handful of dinks-14"ers. It may just not be worth it. Bedding fish aren't interested in eating.

You nailed it, Bterrill.

Fished hard all week, and with the exception of a few behemoths that I managed to lose, all fish have been "up to" the 14"-15" mark.

The bigger fish will bite though, if you are in the right place at the right time.

That's the luck part of it.

As in- lucky to be able to get out when they do bite.

Since bass will not all spawn at the same time, the spawning period will be extended, which means no fishing for awhile if you want to totally refrain. I usually stop fishing or switch waters when it seems like we'd be in the "middle" of peak spawning on a particular water, but on either side of the peak period, I try to fish midriver current areas where pre-spawn and post-spawn bass might hang. I try not to wade, but that might not work as well on larger rivers. Sometimes I just go out to locate nesting sites, count nests and scope out the big gals. That can be fun in itself, but it is helpful to know where they nest so you can get an idea where they might be staging in pre-spawn for next season.

I should add that I never target spawning bass, to answer the question....but I DO fish, and fish as often as I can. Winter is long enough to wait, no fish that is NOT on a bed is getting another 2 months from this angler..

Even if I wanted to target them the poachers took most of them from the beds in my spots on the Kank anyway....no B.S.

I should add that I never target spawning bass, to answer the question....but I DO fish, and fish as often as I can. Winter is long enough to wait, no fish that is NOT on a bed is getting another 2 months from this angler..

Even if I wanted to target them the poachers took most of them from the beds in my spots on the Kank anyway....no B.S.

Then that would be the time of year to dress in camo with a digital and hide in the tree's and take pics of people carrying them out. Follow them to the car and photograph the liscence plates as well,turn in to nearest CPO!

Jeez Mike if you see it turn them in, the fines are almost enough to make them think twice.

You"ll feel really good about it too.

I was at Glenwood F.P. Saturday- yellow sign intact, but the sticker re: closed season peeled off. We need to do a check of these to see how many are damaged. I would work the fox but I need locations & signs. If the sticker is prone to tampering then maybe we should do new signs.