Dan Gapen benthic zone 6-18 inch slack zone on bottom of rivers

Norm M

Thanks Norm,

That was most interesting. Now where do we get MWOD?

I got really close to the Spin Bee with the Flap Doodle a while back. But the loop mount of the spinner blade looks better than what I used.

Dan wants $3.49 for these.

SPIN-BEE-155-T.jpg?1392928970

Is it a fly, a jig, or a spinner?

Thanks Norm,

SPIN-BEE-155-T.jpg?1392928970Is it a fly, a jig, or a spinner?

Mike, don't get us started on that again :) . I have been to Dan's booth at past sport shows. You could ask that about a number of his lures. How did the Flap Doodle work on rough fish? I would like to find a good lure/fly pattern for carp and suckers. You and Dan may be on to something.

Good info. I was a big fan of his ugly bug when I spinfished.It resembles a hellgramite a smb's favorite food. I was surprised to see a flyrod among the spinrods in his boat.I'vealways wondered why ffers don't use scent with streamers.They'd hold it better than hard bodied lures.Both BA and DG have staved off old man time very very well.

Thanks Norm,

That was most interesting. Now where do we get MWOD?

I got really close to the Spin Bee with the Flap Doodle a while back. But the loop mount of the spinner blade looks better than what I used.

Dan wants $3.49 for these.

SPIN-BEE-155-T.jpg?1392928970

Is it a fly, a jig, or a spinner?

Buy one, deconstruct and build your new model based on what you learned .

Mike, don't get us started on that again :) . I have been to Dan's booth at past sport shows. You could ask that about a number of his lures. How did the Flap Doodle work on rough fish? I would like to find a good lure/fly pattern for carp and suckers. You and Dan may be on to something.

John,

Here's my post on Flapdoodles from a while back.

http://illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9191&hl=flapdoodle

I have little experience on flies for rough fish. I never targeted them or caught them by accident on a flapdoodle. Do carp and suckers chase spinners?

BTW the idea of a spinner on the back end of a fly is not new. One of the color plates in Bergman's 1940 classic on Bass, shows a fly identified as a "Spinnie." It is a standard wet fly with a Colorado blade for a tail.

Norm,

That is an easy jig to figure out. Even I can probably make one.

Thanks Mike, I remember that post. I do not recall ever catching a common carp or a sucker on a spinner, though I have done well with spinners while fishing for grass carp in the river. Dan Gapen mentions on the video in Norm's post that the Spin Bee works well on carp and suckers. I may give them a try.