Deer hair collars and spinning

Ryan Kral

Good stuff, I've seen Kelly's videos before on selecting and spinning deer hair, always worthwhile. Coincidentally last night I was tying some Dahlberg Divers and trying out another technique that I discovered online but found that I do get better results with Kelly's method.

That was great. When did Woody Harrelson take up tying? After the current episode plays, you get a selection of more Montana Cheers episodes. There is one on setting one sided brush materials and rubber legs that is Woody at his best. To see more follow the link to You Tube.

No doubt Bambi Body Hair brings out the artist in us. Our esthetic sense overrides our common sense to the point where we create bugs too good to fish. We have to donate them to the Art League. The tail wags the dog.

Times like this I remember what Bob said in his classic on flies:

"As soon as I discovered foam for fly tying, I pretty much stopped fishing deer-hair patterns when I guided for smallmouth bass. The patterns took me too long to tie. I could tie foam poppers and Crippled Minnows three times faster than trimmed deer-hair patterns, and they were more durable and just as effective." p. 11.

That's definitely true about foam being way easier, less time consuming, and just as effective, but it's just enjoyable spinning deer hair. Half the reason I tie is because I just enjoy it, but if I were a guide, you bet all my topwater stuff would be foam. Ryan