fly line freezing up

Norm M

A guy I know dabbles in fishing when his career allows, he fly fishes. He told me he went to a warm water discharge last winter and said he had problems with his line freezing. He asked me how to keep that from happening again.

I told him to keep the line guides clear of ice but I have never used a fly rod in cold weather so I wonder why it occurred and how to fix it for him.

I know with my spinning gear I get ice chips flying off the line in my face at times and off course the guides have froze up. I've never had a situation where the line froze and I was unable to make any more casts.

dipping you rod in the water clears the guides. you can, IF, IF, you rod has an epoxy coating on the rod and wraps, not varnish, as with bamboo rods, hit the guides with a squirt of PAM, spray veg oil from the kitchen. timothy troester

Casting, Spinning, or Fly I would periodically spray the guides and the line with Reel Magic. That is, if I were ever foolish enough to be out in temps where the guides freeze up in the first place. (I would test it on the fly line first or better just use an old line.)

That reminds me--I meant to say unscented Chapstick. It's worked a few days for me so far this season. My rod also has Recoil snake guides which are titanium based--I'm not sure if that makes a difference.