Need a cheap new reel?

Rob G

I dont know if it's this exact model, but I still have a very cheap cabelas reel on my 4wt fiberglass rod. As a small stream(driftless) reel, or as a pond bluegill reel, these are perfect. The drag works fine, and for the previous scenario type of use, basically all they do is hold line anyways. I would put these on any of my small fish setups, and the drag is more than capable if you happen into a bigger fish. That being said, I wouldn't use it as my go to Steelhead reel, but for anything around here, drag isn't much of an issue. For $20, I think totally worth it. Ryan

Last year I purchased this reel for the same price in the 5-6 weight and the 7-8 weight. I have not used the smaller one yet but landed some huge carp and some nice hybrid stripers with the 7-8 weight reel. The drag isn't as nice as the Prestige reels but I had no problems landing fish with it and have been taken deep into the backing on numerous occasions. So far a great reel for the price. I would guess the lighter reels would be just fine for pan fish, trout, and even smallies as they wouldn't be taking you into the backing at all. My first reel for a 7 wt. rod was a Prestige which I purchased when I first started fishing for salmon and steelhead about 15 yrs.back. It has served me well and has had a workout over the years, landing salmon close to 40 pounds. I have had no need for anything more than that. I bought a backup Prestige for the ridiculously low price of $14.00.

Thanks for reminding us of a good sale on an economical reel. I like to call it economical because this reel does not have any of the tacky characteristics that go with cheap. I have been using the WR2(5-6 wt) and the WR3(7-8) since last year with no complaints.

Though it is true that they do not sell spare spools, you can get a whole other reel for less than what a spare spool for another make would cost you. It is a great backup that could just turn into your primary. And it has that cool Eifel tower look that is usually found only on more $$$ reels.

Last year, due to some confusion, I got both the Prestige model 3 and the WR3 for Father's day. Based on visual and physical feel, I sent the Prestige back. Both are smooth with smooth one-way drags. It is easy to remove the spool on either one. Weight is about the same. I liked the machined anodized finish of the WR3 more than the enamel look of the Prestige. Like I said back then, I went for the bling. Besides, the Prestige, at full price, got me more in exchange. Both are obviously good products from the same source. Compare $20 to $30. At those prices, get both for the price of a carton of smokes. It is not worth the argument.

• 2 weeks later...