Bass/Musky/Pike Flies

Hey guys, been a while since I posted any flies. I've got a guide booked at the end of May for Musky on the fly up in Hayward. Got me in the mood to tie some flies. These flies are about 5-6", which is a good range for the post spawn Muskie's that are aggressive and hungry, and you're hoping for more numbers than the fall time trophy fish. Also a good range to keep you in the game for some good smallies and pike. Nothing easier than the bunny flies, but the EP style flies take a little more time, but more time trimming to shape than anything. Ryan

pywpd.jpg

Guest rich mc

they look good. i would add some flash to the bunny flies, but thats me .for some more pike fly ideas go to cowboyflyfishing.com james was at our november fly show . rich

Thanks guys. Yeah, Rich, I thought the same about the flash after the fact. It had been a while since I tied these style flies, so I just threw a couple together quick, but more to come! Tim, they are EP fibers. I have had the material for years, and barely use it, but I think I am getting the hang of those. The white material just has a small barcode sticker on it that says EP Fiber. The green, says EP Fiber 3D Tarpon Streamer. Its hard to tell from the photos, but the green on those EP style flies is a mix of different shades of green and some bronze, really has a lot of the same coloring of a bass, which is what I want. No Tarpon here!

Thanks for the info, Ryan. I did notice the nice blend of colors in those flies. When using EP, I find that small amounts of angel hair or wing-n-flash tied in after every other clump can really make the fly come to life in the water and do not foul up like other flash materials. Being so fine, the fibers do not disrupt the shape or flow of the EP when in motion, either. Just a thought.

That one hook looks a little small/weak for the task of muskies. Have you caught them or a comparable fish on that hook before?

Thanks for the advice Tim, I do have all kinds of Angel Hair sitting around. That hook is small, not a musky fly, something I tied a while back for the local bass. The rest are on Mustad 3/0 Big game hooks, and one is a 4/0. If I decide to go back up in the fall, I will probably tie a handfull 4/0 and larger. Ryan

Nice looking ties, each and every one of them. Now I am no musky expert but the northern pike I have caught on my EP hair flies have torn them up after only a hit or two. I would try to brush them back out but pike can do some real damage in a short period of time. I have experienced much better durability with the bunny flies and I know after watching Barry Reynolds video "Pike on the Fly", he feels the same way. Again, great looking flies!

Yeah, I dont have any experience with the EP flies and Musky, but just asking around the different guide shops up north, thats what they are using for the most part. Maybe they get a break on cost, cause EP fibers ain't cheap! I do love the bunny fly, because they are tough to ruin, and easy to tie. And if Barry's using them, they gotta be ok! I've seen the videos of him in Alaska, just catching large Pike by the dozens on the rivers, and almost entirely on Barry's Pike Bunny fly. Ryan

Maybe they get a break on cost, cause EP fibers ain't cheap!

Check out a product called "Congo Hair" from Flytyersdungeon.com. 1/4 the cost of EP and shipping is only ~$3 even if you order every color. He even makes some decent blended color packs. Basically the same fiber as EP. Makes losing flies to toothy fish a lot easier on the pocket.

Yeah Tim, it's a little clump of bucktail. Really not a lot, I just cut a small chunk off and tie it on, but I cut it down a little to use the stiffer part of the fur to add body, and act as a tail guard. I do it w/out as well, but every so often I would find the tail wrapped around the hook while stripping it in. I used to use a heavy mono loop as a guard, but I like the bucktail because it does the same job, and adds a little blend between the skinny tail and thicker body. Ryan

That's cool. I have used both methods (bucktail and mono loops) in similar flies. I know some of the newer pike flies I've seen are using long flash where you have the bucktail clump, but they epoxy the first 2-3" from the hook bend on out. Once that cures, they go about tying the rest of the fly. That way you get a stiff support but still lots of movement and flash waaayyy back there. If I'm not mistaken, Reynolds Gen-X Bunny has something like this going on. The Bunny might even be glued to this epoxy section for insurance, but again, the remainder of the tail is free to wiggle.

Ryan and Tim, another technique to consider (other than the bucktails and mono loops) is the double bunny. Something like this: post-1339-0-70802800-1359385888_thumb.jpg. The part that you glued the two bunny pieces together provided a stiffer tail. I normally use Hard As Hull Head Cement to glue them together first. If a stiffer tail is desired, I droped a few drops of Thin Zap a Gap on the sides of the tail base to stiffen it up.