Distillery F.P. Stream Sampling 7/13/11

Today I attended the IDNR/IEPA Stream Sampling of the Distillery Rd. F.P. in Boone County.

This is the same area where the BCCD/ISA stream-barbs were installed back in January of this year.

Let me first start off by saying that these people are very enthusiastic about their jobs and you can definitely see that they all enjoy do this work.

I first met up with Karen and introduce myself as being with the ISA and she was very happy to have me there to watch.

I then met Wayne who is an older gentleman and it was easy to tell that he was the "ol' dog" of the crew. This is Wayne............

http://youtu.be/H_vClwHs6mw

Did you catch that? We'll get back to that in a bit.

The team put in at the canoe launch and headed upstream to the stream-barbs. Two (2) people in the boat and many following behind with nets.

I also had to ask and take note that nobody had on neoprene's? I asked Wayne about this because folks here at the ISA have always said

to be sure and wear neoprene's. Wayne said that neoprene's were not necessary. He then proceeded to put his neoprene's on, the ol' dog.

here ar a few pics.............

003-14.jpg

005-14.jpg

007-4.jpg

008-5.jpg

009-6.jpg

The team netted many fish most of which were of the carp family and also many catfish

It was noted that most of the catfish had leeches on them and were also kind of beat-up a bit. The catfish that is.

Many of the carp had blisters and sores around their mouths.

There were four (4) smallmouth taken and they ranged between 8" to 12" .

Now then getting back to Wayne...............

http://youtu.be/H_vClwHs6mw

Did you catch that? (listen again if needed) I knew there was no way I would remember that word when I got home so I had to tape it.

It's some kind of bacterial disease. Take a look..........

011-4.jpg

013.jpg

Notice the peach colored spots near the tail end and along the belly. Wayne says that it's a bacterial infection caused from spawn stress.

I tried to google the word but I can't seem to find the right way to spell it.

It seems that there may be something going on or maybe even in the water in Boone Co.

I met with the IEPA people when they arrived but they had already waded down stream after the sores and bacterial disease were found.

I'll speak more with them about it tomorrow. I know that they (IEPA) won't have any answers right away but I would like to at least get a contact number.

If anyone has any info on this bacterial disease please share.

This was my first attempt at doing a report like this so sorry if I didn't collect all the info. If anybody has any questions they would like me to ask please post them.

Until next time. (tomorrow maybe)

Thanks but - slow down there Mikey!

It seems we have a problem..........

Furunculosis:

http://aqua.merck-animal-health.com/diseases/furunculosis/productadditional_127_113308.aspx

Now that I got the spelling right I'm reading up on all the info and it does not sound good. Not at all.

Terry,

Good report and good research. Seems like the problem is the fish's equivalent of a boil or carbuncle caused by a staph microbe. When our kids were in school, docs always swabed for staph testing when they had fevers. I also remember the notes we used to get from the schools when other kids came down,"Your child has been exposed to staphowhatever." A day or so of antiobiotics solved the problem and the kids could go back to school. They say our skin is crawling with the microbe though we do not get infected unless stress or illness lets the infection start.

We and the fish have a problem that is similar. Figure the stress of spawning or water conditions lowers the fish's resistance and lets the staph take hold. Now, though I know the treatment for humans, I am not sure what the fish should do. Bed rest?

The life of a river fish is pretty tough. They have to deal with alot of adversity with disease being just one of them. I read up on that furunculosis and it sounds like it is most common to salmon and trout species but has been found in other species. The north branch of the kish has been known to be a very clean river in comparison to other area rivers making you wonder how furunculosis gets in there. This may be a stretch but distillery is not to far from Belvidere mill race where the spring trout are stocked. Is it possible that the hatchery trout were the carriers since this disease is more common with trout and salmon? I haven't seen those sores on smallmouth that I'm catching in other areas of the Kish. It seems like when non-native species get introduced to waterways that is when the problems start to happen. Purely speculation on my part but I'll be interested to see if they find this furuncuosis farther away from Belvidere.

That's an interesting point that Paul brings up about the trout. I have also seen that information while reading up on this bacterial infection.

I have also read that the out break normally occurs during the month of July with extreme temp changes. We have had many days of

90 degrees and above over the last 30 days, with more days of the same in the forecast. Wayne also said that it spreads much like the flu in your household

during the winter months. One person in your house gets the flu and then it usually gets passed to the next family member and then the next and so on.

He (Wayne) also said that it's the over all health of the smallmouth that will determine how badly this bacterial infection will effect them.

Definitely something I need to spend more time reading up on and understanding before getting too worried about I guess.

The life of a river fish is pretty tough. They have to deal with alot of adversity with disease being just one of them. I read up on that furunculosis and it sounds like it is most common to salmon and trout species but has been found in other species. The north branch of the kish has been known to be a very clean river in comparison to other area rivers making you wonder how furunculosis gets in there. This may be a stretch but distillery is not to far from Belvidere mill race where the spring trout are stocked. Is it possible that the hatchery trout were the carriers since this disease is more common with trout and salmon? I haven't seen those sores on smallmouth that I'm catching in other areas of the Kish. It seems like when non-native species get introduced to waterways that is when the problems start to happen. Purely speculation on my part but I'll be interested to see if they find this furuncuosis farther away from Belvidere.

I'd say you're on to something there Paul. Hopefully the powers that be think about this possibility also.