Vermilion River Salmon

John Gillio

Read an article where some outfit was going to try and prepare them for food pantry's etc, dont know how that would go over, I live NE Arkansas, town of Blytheville, 48% of the population is below the poverty level, lots of canals nearby but never see anybody fishing plus noted absence of home vegetable gardens.

Jack T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am happy to inform you that I have decided to join the fight to win our waters back. With a little help from above, I should be on the Illinois river gill netting these fish next weekend. I have a half dozen hoop nets to throw at them as well. With my employment in the magazine print business becoming more and more insecure ( been here 15 years ), I thought not to wait until they tell me to find another job. Gosh darn it, I am putting my future in my hands. For now, and while I still have a job with benefits, I plan to fish the weekends and use my last two weeks of vacation time to get in the swing of things. It will be tough to work a full time job that requires 140 miles of driving each day and then fish all weekend. But in the end, I will be happier for helping our waters and leaving my families fate in my hands and not in the hands of a greedy CEO who still gets raises and bonuses while the rest do not.

I have spent the last four months preparing a business plan, selling all my goodies and investing in the equipment to become a viable force to be reckoned with. I hope to one day tell my kids that their Dad was one of the guys who fought a tuff war to get our rivers back.[

If anyone has helpful tips (besides wearing a helmet), please contact me.

Wish me luck guys!!!

Manny

manny, a good friend of mine has done a lot of commercial fishing in the Wabash river and he gets so upset with the Asian carp because they're always breaking his nets. Seems they take a toll on a lot of his equipment because of their significant numbers and the enormous weight.

Best of luck in your new venture.

• 10 months later...

Ed, that is sad to see. I hope the day they reach the big lake never comes, but that report isn't very promising.

Rob, those are some pretty salmon flies. Did you tie them? Would you like a showing at my wife's art gallery :) ? I too wish I could actually get them to bite a fly or lure. I'm working at it ,but I'm quite sure all the ones I hooked in the mouth so far were accidents that I increased the chances of by casting upcurrent of feeding fish.

Rob, those are some beautiful flies. John, I had an incident occur while fishing on Saturday I thought you and others might appreciate. I was fly fishing in the rising water using an autumn splendor fly when my fly rod doubled over and I knew I had a fish on. I fought the fish intensely as it tried to swim out to the main channel. Problem was it was a 30 lb carp and I had it hooked by the tail! It was a beautiful fish. I should have brought the fish to shore but tried to grab the fish mid stream and it broke off the fly. I had thoughts of showing photographs here of a fish that might compare with some of yours but to no avail. I guess thats fishing.

And they are a heck of a lot easier to land when you snag them in the face, rather than the tail. I have lost too many crankbaits to those carp.

No doubt.Had Bart tail hooked that carp in warmer water it would've resulted in a 100yd long distance release.