Excited to be a part of the club!

jonmason

Hey Everyone, 

I caught wind of the club at the expo this past weekend, very excited to be a part of a group that loves stalking bronzebacks as much as I do!

I am 23 years old and I have been downright obsessed with every facet of fishing my entire life. Currently in the process of applying to graduate schools to obtain my Ph.D in ichthyology or limnology. At the moment, I am an ambassador for iFlies fishing boxes and I am the Orvis conditions reporter for the fox river from the chain o' lakes on down to the Illinois. I mostly chase smallmouth on the fly these days and I'm behind the vise just about every night; however, I do have plenty of conventional tackle that I put to work from time to time. When I'm not fishing locally for bass you can often find me in Wisconsin, Indiana, or Michigan chasing summer skams or winter ganaraska/little manistee strain chrome. I live in out in Sandwich - anyone in the area give me a holler! Definitely could use some more fishing buddies in my circles. Hoping to get out and help on some of the local restoration projects, look forward to seeing some of ya'll there. Also very eager to learn new tactics and techniques from everyone on the forum!

-Jon Mason 

Welcome.

How do you report conditions on such a large expanse of the Fox? In my experience it can vary greatly from pool to pool as you go north to south. At what type of frequency are you reporting river conditions and via what channel(s)?

14 hours ago, Eric said:

Welcome.

How do you report conditions on such a large expanse of the Fox? In my experience it can vary greatly from pool to pool as you go north to south. At what type of frequency are you reporting river conditions and via what channel(s)?

Hey Eric, 

Great question- you have in one sentence succinctly worded the bane of my reporting existence. I live about two minutes away from the water (millington is where I grew up fishing) and I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to get out on the water every other day for a good couple hours on average. Additionally, my girlfriend lives way north in Harvard and we drive to see each other very often, so I am usually able to make some stops on my commute to take some temps, get an idea of clarity, and throw some casts if I am lucky. I also rely heavily on a few key USGS stations along the river (if you have an iPhone download stream map, best $10 I have spent on an app).   Admittedly, I do neglect the river on the stretch where route 52 crosses over in Serina on down to the Illinois. Which is a real shame. There is a lot of potential, especially the overall depth for dead of winter bassing as well as summer musky. Between the angling potential and scenery, it is one of my goals to better familiarize myself with that stretch. I usually recommend general colors (White, black, olive), flies that are capable being fished different ways to cover multiple strata of the water column, and impressionistic flies that broadly cover the food chain at any given time of the year. The true unfortunate fact is I am only allowed 200 words per week for the "angling advise" section, I struggle to cover tips on one species with such little wiggle room, let alone the vast potential the fox has to offer. In my orientation, they informed me it was more of a rough gauge for anglers. I do the best I can and try to hone in on hot species/areas for given conditions. I actually was just appointed this position with Orvis and they are still setting up my account, but you can catch my weekly reports in the next couple weeks on their website. If you are a fly fisherman and interested in enlisting  for one of the many Illinois tribs, or if you're interested in helping me cover a stretch of the Fox, I'd appreciate it! It's a commitment but if you're out fishing anyway you are likely already acquiring all the necessary information. I am the only guy reporting for Orvis in Illinois so they could definitely use your help. Additionally, if you have any products or websites it will help with promo. I am starting to production tie and this will help get the word out there.  

Welcome to the group. You will find that the ISA has a very active fly fishing-tying contingent.

33 minutes ago, Dick G said:

Welcome to the group. You will find that the ISA has a very active fly fishing-tying contingent.

Hey Dick,

That's great to hear, I was snooping on the bassbuggers thread earlier. Some quality info and ties! 

8 minutes ago, mannym said:

Welcome. I frequent the section from Ottawa up to Dayton dam. This year, I will be testing the waters near Aurora through Yorkville. Hope to run into you sometime. 

Hey mannyn very cool! I'm sure we will, look for the blue Ford Taurus station wagon with fishing stickers all over the back. Big fan of the yorkville area