Three Oaks Fishing Outing, May 10, 2014

Come one, come all to Three Oaks Recreation Area in Crystal Lake, Illinois on Saturday, May 10, 2014 for a great day of fishing on one of the premier fishing lakes in the area. Three Oaks is a reclaimed quarry (formerly known as Vulcan) with pristine water and excellent fishing. We have reserved the Picnic Grove Pavilion at the lake from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm to serve as a base camp and location to eat, rest and seek shelter from the elements. The facility provides rowboats, canoes, kayaks and paddle boats for use while fishing. Shore fishing and wading are allowed. Only facility boats can be used and patrons are not allowed to bring their own fishing vessels.

The City has agreed to waive the fishing and boat rental fee for ISA members on this day. The only cost is a $5 per vehicle parking fee. The lake is stocked with smallmouth and largemouth bass, musky, yellow bass, rock bass, catfish, northern pike, walleye and pan fish. I understand the fishing is outstanding so it should provide a great opportunity to catch a lot of fish and socialize with other ISA members. The Crystal Lake location provides an easy trip for our Rockford area, Chicago and north side members to come join in the fun.

Food and drinks (non alcoholic) may be brought into the facility and cooking grills are available for use at the Pavilion. A Culvers Restaurant is also located on the facility. It should be a lot of fun and a chance for our members to land a big fish. See you there!

This is really a wonderful opportunity for our members.Bart did a super job in setting this up for us and I urge every one to make an effort to attend this outing.

Another benefit is that it will take some pressure off of our spawing river smallies!

sounds great! do we need to register ahead of time, or do we just show up?

That is a good question.I will have to defer to Bart on this as he set this outing up.

i have been to three oaks multiple times, clear water, i regularly see largemouth cruising the shore, there are some nice northern, tons of gills. and it is beautifully landscaped.

Good, we have some one with experience there.

• 2 weeks later...

Come one, come all to Three Oaks Recreation Area in Crystal Lake, Illinois on Saturday, May 10, 2014 for a great day of fishing on one of the premier fishing lakes in the area. Three Oaks is a reclaimed quarry (formerly known as Vulcan) with pristine water and excellent fishing. We have reserved the Picnic Grove Pavilion at the lake from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm to serve as a base camp and location to eat, rest and seek shelter from the elements. The facility provides rowboats, canoes, kayaks and paddle boats for use while fishing. Shore fishing and wading are allowed. Only facility boats can be used and patrons are not allowed to bring their own fishing vessels.

The City has agreed to waive the fishing and boat rental fee for ISA members on this day. The only cost is a $5 per vehicle parking fee. The lake is stocked with smallmouth and largemouth bass, musky, yellow bass, rock bass, catfish, northern pike, walleye and pan fish. I understand the fishing is outstanding so it should provide a great opportunity to catch a lot of fish and socialize with other ISA members. The Crystal Lake location provides an easy trip for our Rockford area, Chicago and north side members to come join in the fun.

Food and drinks (non alcoholic) may be brought into the facility and cooking grills are available for use at the Pavilion. A Culvers Restaurant is also located on the facility. It should be a lot of fun and a chance for our members to land a big fish. See you there

Don't forget to make your plans to attend this outing.This is going to be a good one!

I went four times last summer with my kids. We liked the cleanliness of the place, and saw plenty of fish cruising around, including some monster channel cats.

The rental staff was friendly. We rented a boat every time. It's a big lake and if there is any amount of wind, their trolling motors move you at a snail's pace. It would be nice to get around quicker, since you're paying by the hour. You have to wear their PFDs. You cannot bring your own watercraft or PFD. In terms of live bait, I think you can only bring wax worms, red worms, and night crawlers. I don't think they allow any "aquatic" bait, i.e., no leeches or minnows.

They have a spotter boat cruising around and an employee with binoculars keeps a close eye on everyone, looking for people breaking the rules. Maybe they were "slow" the days we went but they watched us like a hawk -- which was a bit of a turnoff considering I was fishing with my two kids. What the heck were we gonna do???

If you're savvy at deep water, light line patience fishing, this is your kind of place. Most of us are not used to fishing so deep. It can be challenging! We boated fish each visit, ranging from small bluegills to largemouth to some of those monster cats. My kids talk about it often and are always ready to go back.

Not sure about wading. Might want to double-check that one...

The grounds are very nice and so is the pavilion. It would be a nice place to just kick back in the shade and BS about fishing. Even if you didn't fish you'd still enjoy the place.

There is a correction on the fees for the outing. While the City has agreed to waive the Pavilion rental fee they will be charging ISA members the resident boat rental fee, which is a savings from the non resident rates. The minimum 2 hour resident boat rental rates are as follows:

12' Combo (boat & motor) $22.00

14' Trio (boat, motor & fish finder) $27.00

14' Combo (boat & motor) $24.00

14' Trio (boat, motor & fish finder) $29.00

Terry of Three Oaks mentioned he will charge ISA members a reduced hourly charge for boat rental charges beyond the 2 hour minimum. There is also a $5 per vehicle parking fee. Considering the costs of going to a major league baseball game its still a pretty good deal. PFDs will be required to be worn while in the boats at all times. Canoes, single and tandem kayaks will be available for rent if water temperatures permit. Also, while shore fishing is allowed wading is not permitted. A rental agreement will have to be signed by all fisherman and staff will be available to go over the boat rental and operations.

Hopefully the weatherman will be kind to us on May 10th. If not, we do have the pavilion so either way plan to come on out to Three Oaks Recreation Area in Crystal Lake on Saturday, May 10th between 9 am and 5 pm and enjoy the great fishing this lake has to offer.

Food and drinks (non alcoholic) may be brought into the facility and cooking grills are available for use at the Pavilion. A Culvers Restaurant is also located on the facility. It should be a lot of fun and a chance for our members to land a big fish. See you there!

This is fast approaching make your arrangements now to be there!

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate. Should be a great time. Since we'll have a grill to use, I'm planning to bring along a cooler full of beverages (water and pop), charcoal, as well as some hot dogs and buns if anyone would care to bring some food and drink accessories. Fishing seems to always a create a big appetite. Also please keep in mind the boat rental fee changes from my original post.

The lake is stocked with smallmouth and largemouth bass, musky, yellow bass, rock bass, catfish, northern pike, walleye and pan fish. I understand the fishing is outstanding so it should provide a great opportunity to catch a lot of fish and socialize with other ISA members. The Crystal Lake location provides an easy trip for our Rockford area, Chicago and north side members to come join in the fun.

We are now just over a week away from this fantastic opportunity for our members.Make your plans to attend now!

The lake is stocked with smallmouth and largemouth bass, musky, yellow bass, rock bass, catfish, northern pike, walleye and pan fish. I understand the fishing is outstanding so it should provide a great opportunity to catch a lot of fish and socialize with other ISA members. The Crystal Lake location provides an easy trip for our Rockford area, Chicago and north side members to come join in the fun.

A week from today!!

Only 4 more days to go

Two more days! Event to be from 9-5. I'll be at pavilion by 8:30. Look for pavilion or Nicole of Three Oaks when you get there. The weather should be great, sunny and low 70s. Hopefully the fish will active with the recent warming trend. Hope to see you there!

Tomorrow is the day! Weather should be great. All you have to bring is your fishing gear. Hope to see you at Three Oaks Recreation Center in Crystal Lake between 9-5!

TOMORROW

We had great weather and great time today at our fishing outing at Three Oaks Recreation Area in Crystal Lake. The city has done a magnificent job with the lake and the accommodations were great. The water is crystal clear and we saw several large bass cruising the bottoms. We had four members show up and overall had a multi species day. Frank Biggs caught a personal best 19" smallmouth that weighed 5 lbs and was the fish of the day:

j9m0ky.jpg

A great smallmouth anywhere.

Frank's son, Jay caught a 29" catfish that made his day:

4jx72r.jpg

I caught a small pike on the fly rod that made my day.

2q8aaft.jpg

Thanks Kip, for helping navigate our boat. Afterwards we enjoyed some grilled brats and shared our day's fishing stories. I'm sorry that more members didn't show up but those that did enjoyed the beautiful weather and the wonderful amenities at Three Oaks.