Inspirations

Tom L. And Ryan you are inspirations to me. I am new to flying and tying. I love when you post your creations! Thank you. Here are some of mine....

The blockheads I purchased from Brad Miller's site: www.flybass.biz

The Clouser pattern is Temple Dog hair. I found that at ChiFly on Clybourn ave in Chicago. It's alot like fox body fur, very "poofy" and soft.

I hope we can share a strech of river some time.

post-2009-0-87463600-1363473123_thumb.jpgpost-2009-0-84961400-1363473140_thumb.jpg

Jim, I'm glad my ties can give you a little inspiration, but let me make it clear, I'm a novice. I enjoy tying, and take pride in my flies regardless of how they look. Take more inspiration from a guy like Tom who can take an ugly or pretty fly and catch fish, although none of his are ugly! What I'm saying is, I picked up on tying flies faster than I have catching fish, which I still have a lot to learn. Ryan

Good job. That clouser doesn't look like it was tied by a beginner. One of the biggest beginner issues is crowding the eye, but you left plenty of room to finish it with a nice head.

Also, good looking flies! It's funny as a fly tier, you can start to take as much pride in your flies, as the fish you hope to catch. Here in the Midwest, it's a great way to pass the off season, and make you still feel connected to fishing. Most importantly, the simple act of tying your own flies, can make you look into, and try and understand the natural forage of your target species. I'm still trying to figure it out! Ryan

Thank you gents! This winter I have put some time at the vice. Looking forward to putting time on the water! Don't sell yourself short, Ryan. Your bugs are awesome! Keep posting...

Creating pieces that imitate life definitely connects us to the natural world.

I'm honore to be able to inspire someone. Those are pretty gooding looking flies, Jim. You got the touch and eyes for fly tying.

May be we can hook-up sometimes in the summer.