3 m minnow

Guest rich mc

• 2 weeks later...

I tied a few of these last night. It's pretty fun to tie and they look good. I only had olive ice dubbing so I tied it up in olive and orange. I suppose it doesn't look much like a minnow, but is sure is pretty. So sparkly I thought about eating it myself, then I remembered I don't eat sparkly things.

• 2 weeks later...
Ha!

pic?

All right. These are my first ever photo post, so if there are tips out there, I'm all ears. I tied some of these in olive in orange because I didn't have any white ice dub at the time. After I made it to the fly shop I tied a few up in white. The olive body is olive Lite-Brite, which I like better than regular ice dub. It's a little stronger and it has more interesting sparkle. The last one is tied on an offset worm hook and aluminum eyes, with the idea that the offset shank will be more likely to stay hook point up. Now I just need to get them in the water to see how they do when they're wet.

Cool, Josh. Are you using a dubbing loop for the lite brite?

Yes, the dubbing loop works the same with the Lite Brite as the ice dubbing. You just have to pull a little harder on the wad of material with the Lite Brite. I think it combs out better than the ice dubbing, but it is much more resitant, you definitely have the use velcro to tease the dubbing rather than any kind of dubbing brush, because the velcro will "let go" where the brush won't.

For the record, I also tried some ice wing, because it was hanging next to the Lite Brite at the fly shop. I learned that you CANNOT spin ice wing in a dubbing loop. It just doesn't work, it's too long and stringy. It's cool looking material though. My fascination with shiny objects seems to be on the upswing.

this fly has smallmouth in mind . part clouser and zonker www.catching-shadows.com its a 12 min video to tye along. so easy jim j could do it. rich

Pics are great, looks like an interesting fly, but where is the video, or other directions on how this is tied? I'm new enough that visual instruction would be a great help.

QUOTE (Josh B @ Feb 24 2009, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here you go. His videos are very well done.

http://www.catching-shadows.com/catching-s..._3M_Minnow.html

Thanks. I've "wasted" 15 min. at the office looking at it. That's the trouble with computer access wherever you go. Too many important things like this that distract from work that pays the bills.

Glad to have the video.