NW Region on the Rock

On September 22nd the NW Region will host and outing on the Rock River. This could be a wade outing or possibly a boating outing since we do have several members with boats. Look for details as get closer to the event date. The Rock River does offer a good fall smallmouth & multi-species bite when the water cools and the pleasure boaters leave. The water clears up nicely while the smallmouth evacuate the smaller tribs and put on the feedbag for fall. Call Paul Trybul 815-703-2651 for more details.

Based on current conditions this will be a float trip. We can float the Oregon Dam down to the boat launch at Castle Rock State Park. With the morning being a little colder I propose a 9am start. There is a canoe outfitter in Oregon that can rent canoes and provide shuttles. We should be able to work out shuttles if we get enough people. Over the years I've caught some nice smallmouth through this section along with several other species of fish.

If you would like to rent a canoe or line up a shuttle, the local outfitter is TJ's Canoe rental 815-732-4516. I'll have some maps and some recommended spots to try. I've never fished this section when the water was this low. Many times I have run my boat from Castle Rock up to the dam. I wouldn't even consider it now. That should be great for floating since we shouldn't have to worry about motor boat traffic. The best launch with parking is just below the dam on the west side of the river. We will meet there at 9am. Anyone up for meeting at a local diner for breakfast at 8am?

It is between 5 to 5.5 miles depending on how much zig zagging you do around islands. You could do this trip 6 times and take a little different way each time. Since its smallmouth we are after, I can help eliminate alot of that water and help you zero in on some of the more high percentage areas. The flow is pretty good for making time unless you get a stiff south/south west wind blowing you upcurrent.