Cast & Compare 9/15 Follow up

Our annual fly gear test session at Glenwood Forest Preserve on Rte. 25 in Batavia. Again we will have new rods to try from area shops, chains & reps. Top it off with lunch & a raffle of quality gear provided by the suppiers. Bring some of your own rods to share & compare.

I will have SA Sharkskin & Mastery textured lines plus Airflo Ridgeline to test.

What a great day! 28 sign ins but total was closer to mid 30 attendants. Low water provided plenty of dry shoreline to spread out to cast. Some bass & a 3lb carp caught by a few who worked the river away from the flailing zone. Drift water quality survey produced mayfly & damselfly nynphs plus a johnny darter along with the usual caddis, leeches & some crawdads. More rooted vegetation than I've seen in the Fox plus the expanded aquatic life seems like the trend continues toward cleaner healthier water. We may see the weeds become a nuisance to fishing soon but the fish will benefit.

Several Sharkskin lines plus an Airflo ridgeline & Orvis Hydros 3 all textured lines were there for comparison - any feedback please post.

Doug Taylor Guidelines pro staff worked with many on their spey skills. Rods ranged from moderate to fast 6wt. & up to 9 wt bass rods. Also some old glass & custom builds & a light Lami 7' 3wt.

My favorite was the St. Croix legend elite 7wt. (old version) & the discontinued Orvis Hydros 8wt. I also got to see Tom L. new Foxy Craw fly - need to try it out.

Finished out the morning with lunch, this was the 7th C&C -its a keeper we'll definatly do it again.

John

I was impressed with how much line Asherman's Orvis Hydros 6 wt teamed with a Clouser line could hold in the air. I also found that for being a rod designed primarily for wrestling big fish out of heavy cover the Sage Bluegill rod cast nicely.After the c& c I spent a few hrs fishing the Fox on the way home. I hit one big bass with a fly similar to Tom's Foxy. Atypically he swam towards me after the take creating slack and was gone after clearing the water by an impressive 2'.My bad luck landing big bass continues.It's been happening so consistently for so long that coming to expect it by now it no longer bothers me.I just shrug & make another cast.

It was great to get out and meet some of members. Liked Ron, I was really impressed by Orvis Hydros and how light that rod was. The BVK was another powereful rod that could really throw line. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to try out some of the switch rods. Had to leave early to get to work. Thank John and those that organized the C&C.

Ron, tried some stripping guards on the fingers. Since I started to use them, I lost less fish. You'll lose some sensitivities, but that is the trade off.

It was great to get out and meet some of members. Liked Ron, I was really impressed by Orvis Hydros and how light that rod was. The BVK was another powereful rod that could really throw line. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to try out some of the switch rods. Had to leave early to get to work. Thank John and those that organized the C&C.

Ron, tried some stripping guards on the fingers. Since I started to use them, I lost less fish. You'll lose some sensitivities, but that is the trade off.

How would a stripping guard have anything to do with fish caught/lost?I think your losing fewer fish is just a part of your being on a really good role an example of which is landing that big muskie.When I hit what I think was one a few weeks ago he bit me off on the strike as could be expected with light tippet material.There's a lot of truth in that old it's better to be lucky than good saying.And when good luck is also combined with excellent skill it's possible to win fishing tournaments & land 3' long muskies on light tippets.