Fishtank

John Gillio

Neat! Nice setup. It would be fun to watch that little softshell cruising around. A friend had a tiny gar that he collected from the Illinois River in a 55 gallon aquarium and it was a really neat looking fish. Reminded me of something from the Amazon.

We had a snapping turtle that was raised from an egg one year. I was amazed at how much it grew during the school year. A student had gathered the eggs from an area near her farm pond. Her father had disturbed the site with a dozer. I believe she said there were 43 eggs. She actually hatched them from a makeshift nest she made from plans she found on the internet. Amazingly all of them hatched out. She released them in the pond and a nearby creek. The one that ended up with us was the last to hatch. She was about to give up on it, thinking it had died.

John,

do you know if there are any local or native fish that are illegal to keep in a fish tank? Some one commented one time about sport fish like bass not being legal to keep, just curious if there's any truth to that?

Edit: would it be illegal because you kept a fish under the legal limit?

I'm sure invasive species would be frowned upon. I would also think it would be illegal to take fish under the legal size limit unless you were on private waters and had permission from the owner to do so. I would also stay away from protected species. I haven't seen anything in the Illinois fishing regs on the subject so I couldn't say for sure about keeping game fish of legal size in a tank. I have seen game fish kept in tanks on display at sport shows, bait shops, sporting goods stores, and state parks.

John,

do you know if there are any local or native fish that are illegal to keep in a fish tank? Some one commented one time about sport fish like bass not being legal to keep, just curious if there's any truth to that?

Edit: would it be illegal because you kept a fish under the legal limit?