Central Illinois outing this Saturday 7/28

Just as a heads-up, the Vermillion at Pontiac has no current and is getting mossed over. It looks really nasty. There are fish there, but not much size to them and they are stressed due to lack of water, high temps., and low oxygen levels.

This is just a thought of mine: Since we were rained out at our last outing on the Kankakee, would anyone be interested in trying the Kank again instead of the Vermillion?

Brian

I fished the Kank on Friday & its low but the water temps & clarity are good. The bass are active more so toward midday, just look for current & riffles. Two of us got 60+ total but only 2 over 15". Thats on fly gear - buzzbaits or floating cranks would tear them up. Floating weeds were not a problem, I'll come if I can.

John

If we don't get rain there may not be a Vermilion by next Sat. I crossed the Kank and the Vermilion yesterday on I-55 and both are low. I'd vote to try Kank, if I am allowed to go.

I hope y'all don't bring 8 inches of rain in 12 hours like you did last time. Gary Lange used to bring tornadic blizzards when he came, looks like someone is trying to fill his shoes.

The fish have been real picky lately on what they are willing to take. Location is a snap. I believe a lot of smallmouth have switched to low light/night feeding. There are still fish chewing in day light many of them small fish in the 12 to 15 inch range.

I'll likely be moseying round somewhere.

Well, I know I was the one who got this whole Kankakee thing started, but I won't be able to make it in the morning.

My daughter is pregnant with her second child and is due the end of September. I just got a call from my son-in-law saying they took her by ambulance to the hospital here in town with contractions and pain. They are trying to get the contractions stopped, but if they can't they might fly her to Peoria. So, needless to say, I'll be very close to the phone for a couple days and not out fishing!

Hope you guys have fun, and somebody catch a wall-hanger on a fly for me will ya?!

Brian

Not sure who makes the formal report, but 6 of us showed up to try the K3. River was pretty low, clear water. We tried several spots in the State Park. By noon, only 5 fish had been caught, 2 by the guys with long rods, 3 by the spinners. Even Norm only had one. Not sure if all the spinning guys gave up, but Doug and I gave another try with the fly rods up near the campgrounds, each adding another fish. Doug had a 14" one that was the biggest I saw today.

I probably was the "winner" because I got a free lesson on how to spey cast with a one-hand fly rod. It was the highlight of my day. Thanks, Doug!

it was better before the sun came over the treetops this morning. I picked up some refreshments and hit a couple more areas back toward town. One spot got a couple on a fliuke the other got one on a rattlebait. The plan to fish the evening bite went awry but I'll hit it again early and late on Sunday. Miserable being on vacation and having to fish all the time.

I did run into Mark K and his sons over by the visitors center when I stopped to have a quick chat with the naturalist.