Poison Ivy Tips (?)

Terry Dodge

All this talk of poison ivy reminds me of my youth. My dad took me fishing when I was about 8 or 9 to my uncles farm pond. After an hour or so I had to go. Told my dad who said just go behind the tree. "No dad I have to do #2 and there is no toilet paper"

'Just use a leaf' Wrong leaf. What a miseable two weeks that was.

Guest Don R

All this talk of poison ivy reminds me of my youth. My dad took me fishing when I was about 8 or 9 to my uncles farm pond. After an hour or so I had to go. Told my dad who said just go behind the tree. "No dad I have to do #2 and there is no toilet paper"

'Just use a leaf' Wrong leaf. What a miseable two weeks that was.

U

Now that's uncomfortable!

• 1 month later...

I am in the woods all the time.There really is nothing to fear if you can identify the plant. I recommend being able to identify PI, it isn't rocket science. I never get it, but you can bet I come within inches of it each and every time out and am aware of every leaf.

Once you can identify it you'll realize how many hundreds of the plants are around you at all times. before you reach out to grab a tree for support make sure there are no vines on it. Even old ones or in winter, there is oil in the vines.

3 separate leaves on one stalk, the actual leaves sometimes vary in exact shape. PI likes shade, but not too much. You'll almost never find it in deep woods, but very often at edges of fields/paths/roads, in trees along rivers (as a vine).

Be careful touching any lure that hung in a vine on a tree until you know it wasn't IVY. I got PI on my face once from my own buzzbait!

Terry, if you do locate Ivy Vines/Plants DO NOT burn it. Inhalation of smoke/oil of PI could cause a terrible respiratory break out!

If you get it on you, wash with cold water, not hot as the usheral oil will spread more easily with hot water. I wash with cold water first each time back.

Another thing is it brushes my pants, I step on it all the time, wading thereafter never any effect.

It really stinks to get it, but is so controllable through education. Watch where you weedwhack!

Besides Ivy, your other river plant foes are reed canary grass and Wood Nettles.

Both are everywhere. Reed Canary Grass causes the nastiest allergies every June. Massive releases of pollen, usually wind or walking through them. They are very unobtrusive, but every June. Deadly to your fishing enjoyment. Eyes watering, uncontrollable sneezing, clogged breathing. Stay upwind and walk around without brushing pollen in the air. Beware the Golden Dust of Doom!

rcg.png

Wood Nettles are in the opposite areas to Ivy, in the heart of the woods near water. No sun. Note the shape of the leaves, the pollen spike, but especially the stems!

wood-nettle.jpg

You can actually eat the leaves in salads early, and man is know to make beer and other things out of nettles. Thousands of toxin laden needlelike spikes along the stems. Injecting poison into your skin. THE BURN!! Water will immediatley relieve. Anti nettles are wearing waders. When wet wading, I suggest stepping on the stems with your foot sideways and thrust forth to avoid torture. Really.

Thanks BT, those are some good words of wisdom. Thanks for the id on the Reed Canary Grass, that stuff kills me...

Also know how to id Jewelweed.Positive id is the undersides on the leaves look silver under water. It usuallly grows amongst the nettles and ivy and is supposed to be a natural "cure'.

Ron, just going from memory there as to when reed canary grass pollenates. Look further for better information. It is in an invasive plant that grows everywhere brought in to control erosion. Course, with the weather, this year may be earlier...You guys are further north than me too.