Jump to content

Poison Ivy Tips (?)


Terry Dodge
 Share

Recommended Posts

HELP!

 

I got it some how and now I would like very much to get rid of it.

Any tricks that anybody uses out there to get rid of it fast?

Fire! I wonder if fire fire will work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terry,

 

I feel your itch as on who used to get it all the time. I do not get it as much since I wash up after being in the brush and shed any clothes I was wearing. That won't help you now that you got it.. My second trick to kill the itch is using Solarcain sunburn spray or Americain ointment. Benadryl and Cortizone creams will help too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure your pain tolerance, but scratch it raw and make sure to clean under your nails with a brush after. Then use bleach or brake cleaner on it. Works for me, and gone in a day. Be warned, it is not comfortable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really really suscetible, it's one of the main reasons I dont bushwack on smaller flows. I use http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/tecnu-extreme-medicated-poison-ivy-scrub/ID=prod1385962-product Tecnu Extreme Medicated Poison Ivy Scrub its the only thing I could find in years pas that actually extracts the oils and drys it out.

 

Do a quick web search, opening up that stuff or heating it aint the answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny thing is I am dead serious about brake cleaner or bleach. I did it once and it was gone the next day. Anymore I just let it run its course and scratch the living hell out of it. It does dry quicker when scratching it a lot. Just make sure to wash ur hands and nails afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went the mikea way with the Tecnu Extreme.

A good friend of mine spoke with a tree doctor and says that the tree doctor uses bleach.

I may try the bleach if this Tecnu stuff doesn't give me the results I want.

Now that I know using bleach is doctor approved that is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel your pain. I get it every year, no matter how careful I am. I try to stay out of the woods but seems like no matter what I end up with it. My kids' pediatrician gave me same samples of a corticosteroid salve that helped to ease the symptoms. I normally have to just deal with it and let it run its course.

 

One more reason to kayak -- keeps me away from the vegetation! ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used brake fluid once. I'll never do it again. The things you'll do in an auto shop to get rid of the darn itching. Woke up the next day and it was gone tho. I get it so bad, I usually have to get the shot in the emergency room. Ohh the joys of being an outdoorsman!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha. That's cuz brake fluid didn't work, just hurt... It's brake cleaner that hurts bad but works very effectively... My mess up, I apologize. :D

P.s. I'm not a fan of pain if that helps. Bleach doesn't feel good either.

 

You could also try a branding iron or a fillet knife. Scarring isn't permanent with the right plastic surgeon...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HA

 

Seriously though..

 

I assume you guys are wearing waders when crashing through brush etc. Do you then contact your waders with your hands etc?

 

Is it your hands or legs or what?

 

If you're not wearing waders then I get it. (I think)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Left hand and top of head. I personally think that I got it off of a large weed that kind of grew into a tree that I cut down last week in my back yard.

Wife don't believe that though. Of course i had to have gotten it from fishing. Yes wear waders when fishing and I also wear a hat too.

When cut down the large weed I had no hat on. After 26 years of marriage I"ve learned not to argue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah Jim, it gets on your waders and boots, then on you as you put the stuff in the car.

 

Worst I ever got it was when I didn't bring my kayak cart and dragged my kayak through freshly-mowed grass back to the car. I imagine there was some poison ivy, oak or sumac growing amidst the grass / edge of the field and it got mulched in when the grass was cut, therefore the oils got all over the bottom of my kayak. I loaded up the kayak and got the oils all over my hands and arms. Broke out something fierce! Took several weeks to run its course. Was right around 4th of July. I never made the mistake of forgetting my kayak cart again!

 

Best bet is to stay away from the vegetation. Keep on a bike path or in the water.

 

Had some run-ins with stinging nettles on the banks of the Kish too. Was never so happy to wet-wade!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips.

 

I never thought about it transferring from the kayak bottom to my hands etc.

 

That would suck!

 

I've placed my hand on some stinging nettles on the bank sliding into the water. I am careful about where I put my hands down now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips.

 

I never thought about it transferring from the kayak bottom to my hands etc.

 

That would suck!

 

I've placed my hand on some stinging nettles on the bank sliding into the water. I am careful about where I put my hands down now.

Joz

Am I the only one who thinks you left yourself wide open with that last sentence? :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...