Morels in March

Paul Trybul

What a record warm spring. Lilacs are blooming morels are popping and it isn't even April yet. I found my 1st morel of the year last Saturday. A full month earlier that my 1st finds ever. Today I found over 30 for harvest. I'm not saying the woods are loaded with them already, I'm just saying the early spots are starting in the northernmost part of our state.

I also found another edible growing on my garage. A nice sized oyster mushroom.

There is fungus among us.

In the old days the Bohemians of Berwyn were notorious mushroom hunters and even celebrated the Hobie Festival each year. The one who always bought drinks was known as a "fungi to be with."

Mushroom hunting & stream smallmouth fishing have some similarities. You have to pay your dues ans spend a lot of time scouting before you find the best spots. I look for woods that have a lot of dead trees. More specifically dead elm trees with the bark just starting to peel off. 90% of my finds are in the general area of a dead tree.

I don't hunt mushrooms and I would suppose that some (Jude) would say that I don't hunt smallmouth either. That's fine.

But I am not about to sit here and let Mike G's "fungi" comment go unnoticed. HA! Good one. Nice way to start off the day.