flyline

John Gillio

I do. WF lines came out about the same time FG rods did which was when I started using FG rods with WF lines with outstanding results. Whether the rod is boo, tubular steel, glass, or graphite the line profile has the same results. Romantics may want to match DTs with boo since there was a time when that was all there was. :wub:

So the choices are Level. DT, WF. Pick the one that does the job. Then pick the rod that handles the line regardless of the material..

PS: In my stash there is a 8.5 ft Heddon Bamboo marked for HDH or D that needs some work. It is just a matter of timing that the WF6F ( HDF) is not there. If I ever get it back to life I will be comfortable with a 6 level, a DT6, or a WF6.

If you're casting 30 feet or less, there is little or no difference between a weight forward and double taper fly line since you won't get into the running line anyway. I think that level fly lines are now obsolete, it used to be that that they were the most economical but now you can find some cheaper DT's and WF's that fit the bill.

It just occured to me that vintage bamboo and glass rods may have smaller guides than rods that came off the bench recently. For their weight the old silk lines, that these rods were built for, generally had smaller diameters than todays synthetic lines. So ,again, pick the taper that suits your fishing, but you may have to consider the new "Sylk" lines designed to work with smaller guides. Or consider replacing small guides with larger guides. Or you can get a silk line which as a line would be obsolete, but still available, but still in use, but still popular with a good number of fly fishermen.

It depends on the rod. I prefer a DT on some of my boo rods, WF on others, Triangle Taper on another, one really likes a silk DT. Try several different lines and see what the rod tells you. I had one of those Cortland Sylk lines a couple years ago. Dont waste your money. Have fun.