Fancy Castings

Tom L

wow, he beat the water with the line and caught it in his teeth. i fail to see how that helps you catch fish.

it looks to be about as useful as the guys who used to be in the distance casting affairs with rods and reels you didn't use for actual fishing.

The video is mistitled.That was a speycasting demonstration.Speycasting owes much of its increasing popularity to the fact that it's much easier & requires less skill to achieve distance than flycasting does.So does spincasting for that matter.It has its place but it's not flycasting.

Cool video. Boy, Norm, if you call that "beating the water", I'd hate to hear what you'd call my casting. I'll bet dropping a dry fly five feet in front of a rising trout 70 feet away would be child's play for him.

wow, he beat the water with the line and caught it in his teeth. i fail to see how that helps you catch fish.

This cast is useful for changing fly, because you don't have to strip all the line in (saving time). I use it often, only I catch the line with my hand.

The video is mistitled.That was a speycasting demonstration. It has its place but it's not flycasting.

The principle of spey casting is built upon the roll cast principle, by using water tension to load the rod on the back cas. It is used when the back cast space is limited by trees or your fishing partner (LOL). A single spey cast is also called a power roll cast, because It adds distance to the normal roll cast.

These casts are useful in smallie, trout, and steelie fishing.

I fished with a two hander for a couple seasons, much like the 8 foot and under crowd they are a highly specialized tool. For the amount of spey casts one needs in are warm water rivers for SMB I would think it more usefull for someone to simply learn the cast (single spey, double spey....) and use it when necesary with a standard nine footer.

Heck, if we expect the fish to catch the line in their teeth, I suppose we ought to be able to do the same!

It used to be common practice for west coast steelheaders to shoot line hanging from their mouth until concerns for contracting illness from giardia were raised.This technique can be seen in some old videos made by a great steelheader,Lani Waller.

I fished with a two hander for a couple seasons, much like the 8 foot and under crowd they are a highly specialized tool. For the amount of spey casts one needs in are warm water rivers for SMB I would think it more usefull for someone to simply learn the cast (single spey, double spey....) and use it when necesary with a standard nine footer.

I would also like to add some of my favorites that I found useful:

* Snap-T cast for a quick change of direction.

* Snake Roll cast for a long line pick up and a quick change of direction.

* Voodoo cast for conjuring up the river spirits.

Just kidding folks..... Mike, that was really nice work in catching that so quickly. Really, there is a voodoo cast out there, but I have no ideas what it is for. I have to agree with Norm on this one.

I'm not an expert nor a certified caster, but always looking for ways to improve my game. This single handed spey has its application. You don't need a specialized fly fing outfit to do it. So next time when you are out, spend a few minutes practicing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsPg45iNd_U&feature=related

See yall at the blowout.