Outdoor Illinois victim of budget cuts

Norm M

Kinda sucks.

Realistically, probably a smart thing to do and could create a better issue online anyway. Limitless color and can integrate video. Can get immediate feedback from readers via social media integration, i.e., "like" buttons, commenting, Twitter and share. Reach is much broader versus a paper copy. Funds to print and ship are now spared. Info is the same whether in paper or in pixels.

Sidetrack... My company used to allocate $150K per year to design, print and ship annual reports to all shareholders. The law has changed now and all you need to do is post a PDF of the report on your Website the day of the SEC filing. We now spend around $12K on design and only print 1,000 to have on hand at Investor Relations as a courtesy to those that call and request a hard copy. We aren't obligated to send a hard copy and could just as easily point them to the PDF on our Web site.

Times change but the smart find a way to save budget and make things better! Change can be an opportunity for good if approached with an open mind.

(Tough time to be in the printing business -- especially in the USA.)

Interesting reading. I enjoyed learning the history of the publication!

A very important aspect in the article to note:

IDNR Director Marc Miller has been speaking around the state to constituent groups, trying to spread the word about the agency’s bleak financial picture, hoping to rally support among those who use DNR’s services.

With additional expected cuts on the horizon, Miller said DNR could wind up $17 million to $22 million in the hole in 2013.

We do a monthly conference call among stakeholders that Marc Miller hosts in order to deliver information first-hand on the state of the IDNR as an agency, and conservation in this state from a management perspective, and to hopefully come up with solutions to problems that have arisen.

I invited Marc to present a very timely and informational "State of the IDNR" at the Bronzeback Blowout so that anyone wishing to learn the details of our state's current predicament, as the outdoors and conservation are concerned, can be better informed.

There will be a Powerpoint that is likely to raise many eyebrows, and a Q&A session to follow.

If you think canceling an outdoors publication is tragic, you'll need to attend this presentation to learn just how tragic our predicament really is. This article doesn't even begin to explain how dire the situation is that we're facing.

I invited Marc to present a very timely and informational "State of the IDNR" at the Bronzeback Blowout so that anyone wishing to learn the details of our state's current predicament, as the outdoors and conservation are concerned, can be better informed.

There will be a Powerpoint that is likely to raise many eyebrows, and a Q&A session to follow.

If you think canceling an outdoors publication is tragic, you'll need to attend this presentation to learn just how tragic our predicament really is. This article doesn't even begin to explain how dire the situation is that we're facing.

I hope this doesn't wreck the mood of those attending a usually lighthearted event!