patents/copyrights

Dana Lee

hey got a brilliant business plan starting and need some advice on getting patents and copyrighting my ideas and lures. everyone has been super helpful within the last couple weeks towards me. got a lot of ideas that will revolutionize the fishing industry. gonna write a book as well. thanks in advance!

I would start with the United States Patents and Trademark Office. I have never patented anything so I'm not how the process goes. I'm sure it is a lot of paperwork and it may take some time. If your idea is good then you will have a time window to profit from it before everyone else can copy your idea.

If this thing gets big and you need a sales professional to help you sell and market the product, keep me in mind.

I could never forget the people who have helped me the most Paul! Thanks for the info. I'm worried about these ideas getting out. This is all I can say at this point... Stay tuned!

Do not submit your idea to any "Invention Submission" type business. They are pretty much all rip-offs.

The first step is to do a thorough patent search. Google Patent is a good place to start. Also check catalogs, etc to verify that there is nothing similar out there. Even if you've never seen your idea, there's a good chance someone has already patented it or is selling it. (You don't need a patent to market something.) If you find something similar, start working on you next idea. A professional patent search is the best and most reliable method, and they will give their opinion as to the patentability of your idea. Of course , it will cost you about 300 bucks.

Are you planning to manufacture and sell the product yourself, or are you looking to license the invention? Obviously, doing it on your own will take a huge commitment, but the reward could be higher. Licensing the idea to a company that already has the manufacturing, marketing and distribution in place would be easier, less risky, but potentially less profitable. You may only get a small percentage of each sale, but once the deal is in place, all you'd have to do is cash your royalty check every quarter.

It is possible to market an item without a patent, and that might make sense. Let's say you have a patent and start selling your widget. Some company in China likes the idea and starts selling them as well. Are you going to have the money to defend your patent? I doubt it. One school of thought is to be "first and best" and not worry about a patent. A patent will cost you at least three to five thousand dollars, possibly more.

Before you show potential licensing partners or prototype builders, have them sign a "non-disclosure agreement", which acknowledges you as the inventor and keeps things confidential. You can find sample forms on line.

Here's a good site with a forum full of good questions and answers. http://inventorspot.com/

Good luck and stay persistent.

Wow thanks jude! I'm broke as a joke and choking on good ideas.. Would it be the same for a book? would like to know I am cornering that share of the market... Just a law illiterate kid with big plans... I am shooting for three ideas a day. Averaging 4-7 so far, but this is a very young thing at the moment..

The US Patent Office is a must go to site. Even though there is some legal speak, the site gives you every thing to file for and receive a patent or trademark. The site allows you to do your own searches. This idea might help, get a crossword puzzle dictionary. Start with your base word, lets say it is "bracket" look up the word bracket in the dictionary. Write down every word that means bracket, then look up those words. Keep looking up words until you run out of words to cross reference. Here is the part that takes hours & hours, during your patent search you will have to type in every variation of the word "bracket" to see if anybody else has already thought of your idea. Here is an example,

at one time in our fishing lives we have all still fished. This consisted of finding a short stick with a vee notch to set the pole in while we waited for a bite. There are hundreds of patents to hold a fishing pole when a simple stick is all that is needed. The last line sounds kind of a downer, I am not trying to sound all doom & gloom. Jump in with both feet and make it big! I hope you become a 1 percent

Bill Sheridan

Any info is appreciated Bill. I am very optimistic, however I do realize that there is a small window of opportunity at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Thanks again everyone. Once I get this boat polished, the fun begins.

Now don't laugh.

This is a cheap round-about way of doing things but could help to protect you until you get your funds in order.

Draw a sketch of your idea along with whatever kind of explanation you feel fit to go with it. Sign it and date it. If you have a prototype, that's great. I would think pictures might help also. Toss it all in an envelope or box (if needed) and mail it to yourself. Your idea is now sealed and has a government stamping on it. Never-ever open! Repeat.....Never-ever open!!

If a time ever comes when it does need to be opened........Let a judge open it.

Little trick I learned as a songwriter.

Remember the rock band "The Cars"? Shake it up? Never heard from them again after that song did you?

This method help a New York City songwriter. Big pay off.

You do need to get all the other stuff in the earlier posts done as soon as possible though.