Waders

john w.

Hi, Guys.

I'm going to buy some waders this season, and I'm wondering if you guys can help me. I'll have between $150 and $200 to spend, although I'm hoping that they'll go on sale at the Bass Pro Shops Spring Fishing Classic, and that that money will go a bit farther. What do you think: stocking feet and boots, or boots molded into the waders? Lug soles or felt? Are the breathable ones less rugged than the neoprene or rubber ones? Any particular brand? If it helps, last summer I waded the DuPage and Salt Creek, and plan to add the Fox and the KKK this year. Thoughts? Thanks.

John

You'll die in rubber or neoprene in the summer. So go with breathable stocking feet. Lug soled boots. If you've only got $150-200 to spent you'll have to stick with the store brand and hope that they last you all year. Even the higher priced name brands wear out in a year or less depending on use and care given to them.

If you waded the Salt Creek without waders (and survived) your body has probably built up a resistance to pretty much anything! ;)

Just kidding of course....

I echo Jim's post above.

I think breathable is the way to go. With today's waders and being layered properly underneath in the colder months there is no need ever for rubber or neoprene (unless your a duck hunter). If your going to stick to using them in IL felt helps, but some states have banned them. I run with rubber bottomed boots and have never taken a dip. As far as the style of waders go if you use them a lot stocking foot is it, if your a occasional weekend guy the boot attached is just fine. Simms and Redington have some nice waders in your price range. Keep the big boxes out of it and support a local fly shop. That's my opinion.

Captain Austin Adduci

www.grabyourflycharters.com

I had the most inexpensive pair of Simms breathable stocking foot waders about 9-10 years ago. I used them for about 3-4 years and gave them to a buddy. The only problem I had was very occasionally I would get a pinhole in them but it is easily fixed with the repair kit they provide. The stocking feet I never had issue with. I then bought a pair of Simms guide waders and have never looked back. So far they have been bulletproof. Not even one pinhole and I have done my fair share of bushwackin' with them. Boots on the other hand are another issue. Simms boots maybe 2 seasons and thats it. I've had the side bust out on a lightweight pair. A guide pair the leather dried up and shrank those suckers so I couldn't hardly get them on. I would have to soak them in the river for 5 mins. to soften em up first. Eventually they fell apart. Chota's I say completely forget. I had one pair and 3/4 of a season the sole detached while out fishing. As far as the sole. Vibram soles with metal or carbide studs seem to work the best. I've been in the Kank with good flow on straight vibram and been pushed down the flat rock bottom like I was on a skating rink. The studs help that and they also help with climbing banks. I don't baby my gear so take this all with a grain. I'm the kind of guy that wades 8 hrs over everything takes off the boots throws them in the back of the truck and leaves them there till the next fishing trip. That's my two cents.

This is for stocking foot breathables;

Regardless of brand you want to make sure the waders fit properly by trying them on. That usually translates into s little big. You'll want some extra room to get layers underneath in spring and fall. You'll also want extra room for bending, kneeling, doing the stretch step onto a high bank etc. You want to avoid undue stretching/stressing of the seams cause thats the biggest cause of leaks other than busting brush (or wading w/Don :lol: ).

Just like clothes not all manufacturers specs are the same. I have two brands of waders, both XL, both supposed to be the same size. One fits perfect; little room in the foot, plenty of room for layers or freedom of movement. The other pair fits but it's "tight" compared to first pair.

If you don't get your boots and waders at the same time make sure you bring your waders and a pair of light to med wool socks to try boots on with. Not all boots are created equal either.

Some people swear by the higher end stuff and others have the same experience with lower end products. Shop around, read reviews, get what you can afford and meets your needs at the moment.

I agree with bobg.Unless you plan to do all your fishng from a boat sans wading make sure you get studded boots not only with felt soles but especially with vibram/rubber which afford less traction.Boots with removeable studs are a good choice if you occasionally boat fish or else adding indoor/outdoor carpeting to the boat to protect it from the studs.

3 years ago, I bought this Cabela brand wader on sales

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Fishing-Waders|/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103926780/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus174-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Waders-150-Regular/749371.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-mens-fishing-waders%2F_%2FN-1101197%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103926780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253BRCcat104721480%253Bcat104674680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3BRCcat104721480%3Bcat104674680%3Bcat103926780

and it came with a free pair of these wading boots

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Wading-Boots|/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103896180/Cabelas-Ultralight8482-2-Wading-Boots/734259.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-mens-wading-boots%2F_%2FN-1101202%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103896180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104674680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104674680%3Bcat103896180

The wader lasted 2 years only. I still have the wading boots. They had some cracks but still functional. The laces broke about 2 weeks ago. I think the boots may last another 2 years, easily. I added 1/2" sheet metal screws under each boots as studs. It works like a charm.

Keep these in mind when choosing between felt soles and lug soles:

1) Some states are banning felt soles, because of invasive species concerns. Many more may follow.

2) Felt soles will build up ice underneath when walking on snow if they are wet.

Another consideration when buying wading boots:

Buy one size larger boots for summer wading only; but two size larger boots for winter wading. For example: I normally wear size 8 shoes, but I bought a pair of size 9 wading boots for summer wading only. Because the wader and the thin summer socks add one size up to your boots. I also have a pair of size 10 wading boots for winter wading, because I like to wear extra thick socks for additional warm. Plus, if your boots are too tight, they restrict blood circulations and your feet will get cold. But if you can afford only one pair, go with two sizes up.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Fishing-Waders|/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103926780/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus174-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Waders-150-Regular/749371.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-mens-fishing-waders%2F_%2FN-1101197%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103926780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253BRCcat104721480%253Bcat104674680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3BRCcat104721480%3Bcat104674680%3Bcat103926780

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Wading-Boots|/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103896180/Cabelas-Ultralight8482-2-Wading-Boots/734259.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-mens-wading-boots%2F_%2FN-1101202%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103896180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104674680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104674680%3Bcat103896180

The wader lasted 2 years only. I still have the wading boots. They had some cracks but still functional. The laces broke about 2 weeks ago. I think the boots may last another 2 years, easily. I added 1/2" sheet metal screws under each boots as studs. It works like a charm.

If you bought Cabela's brand waders, they have a lifetime warranty. If you've worn them out, they will pro-rate a refund based on age. If they just failed, they will replace them or give you your money back. If you don't have the receipt, they'll give you a store credit for whatever the lowest sale price on them was.

The warranty alone is a good reason to look into Cabela's brand waders and boots.

Keep these in mind when choosing between felt soles and lug soles:

1) Some states are banning felt soles, because of invasive species concerns. Many more may follow.

2) Felt soles will build up ice underneath when walking on snow if they are wet.

Another consideration when buying wading boots:

Buy one size larger boots for summer wading only; but two size larger boots for winter wading. For example: I normally wear size 8 shoes, but I bought a pair of size 9 wading boots for summer wading only. Because the wader and the thin summer socks add one size up to your boots. I also have a pair of size 10 wading boots for winter wading, because I like to wear extra thick socks for additional warm. Plus, if your boots are too tight, they restrict blood circulations and your feet will get cold. But if you can afford only one pair, go with two sizes up.

Tom,

Good info but I have to disagree w/you on boot sizing. Perhaps it varies by brand but boots are already upsized. I normally wear 13 and have size 13 boots. Not sure what thickness sock I could wear but when wearing regular wool socks I have some room to grow. There is absolutley no way I could wear/walk in a size 15 boot no matter how thick my socks were. 14's would be a stretch even w/a super thick sock but I still think walking would be quite a challenge as the boot would be too loose. I'd actually like a size smaller for summer wet wading as my 13's are too big even w/putting on a neoprene sock. I have Simms boots.

Tom,

Good info but I have to disagree w/you on boot sizing. Perhaps it varies by brand but boots are already upsized. I normally wear 13 and have size 13 boots. Not sure what thickness sock I could wear but when wearing regular wool socks I have some room to grow. There is absolutley no way I could wear/walk in a size 15 boot no matter how thick my socks were. 14's would be a stretch even w/a super thick sock but I still think walking would be quite a challenge as the boot would be too loose. I'd actually like a size smaller for summer wet wading as my 13's are too big even w/putting on a neoprene sock. I have Simms boots.

While apparently not true of Simms' most mfrs boots should be purchased one size larger to accommodate the neoprene stockingfeet.A little xtra room is better than too tight a fit.Once water temps drop into the low 40's or less the best way to keep your feet warm especially if your not moving about much is to get a pair of 5mm neoprene bootfoot waders(Cabelas).I've found that no matter how many pairs of socks you might wear feet will eventually get cold in stockingfeet due to the necessarily snugger fit than the bootfoot which due to their looser foot allow for better blood circulation as well as permitting an air pocket within the boot for warmth.

Tom,

Good idea Kevin. When in doubt, try them on before purchase. Just don't forget to leave a little xtra room for xtra thick socks.

Scott,

Thanks. Totally forgot about that. I still have the wader in my garage.

Breathable stocking foot waders are the way to go. They won't be as durable as rubber or neoprene waders, but you won't sweat to death in warmer weather. Any breathable waders will leak sooner or later, so getting waders with a company that will replace your waders when they fail makes a big difference. Getting waders from Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas is a good idea, because they will usually replace items that fail and they sell plenty of waders in your price range.

LL Bean will always replace anything that fails or that you are not happy with no matter how long that you have used the item, so they are a good bet if you can find waders from them that fit. I have a pair of LL Bean West Branch wading boots with Aqua Stealth rubber soles that have provided excellent traction for me everyplace that I have worn them.

Good idea Kevin. When in doubt, try them on before purchase. Just don't forget to leave a little xtra room for xtra thick socks.

Scott,

Thanks. Totally forgot about that. I still have the wader in my garage.

Tom,

I'd like to modify my earlier statments. I don't think I can get my extra thick socks on w/my boots but med thick work. Extra thick would require going up a size.

Hey John- Check out Sierratradingpost.com has some Redington waders that seem to be well priced and have gotten lots of good reviews. They're at about $100 and look at TJoos.com if they have a 20% off coupon. You should at least be able to get 20 sometimes 30-40 more if you sign up for STP's deal flyer. Their return policy is top notch a great place for a bargain.

Hey John- Check out Sierratradingpost.com has some Redington waders that seem to be well priced and have gotten lots of good reviews. They're at about $100 and look at TJoos.com if they have a 20% off coupon. You should at least be able to get 20 sometimes 30-40 more if you sign up for STP's deal flyer. Their return policy is top notch a great place for a bargain.

Redington has developed what may be the biggest break thru in waders since breathables in their Sonic Pro Wader.The seams are closed with sound instead of stitches which supposedly reduces seam leaks,the most common source of leaks especially in the crotch.Having just come out in 2011 it's too soon to tell if they'll accomplish that.But if so they'll be well worth the $280.I'd give them a try if I were in the market for a new pair.The ultimate wader would be one w/o any seams.

I know a lot of the guys around here really prefer to do things the right way, however there's really no need for "wading boots" per say. Common canvas "desert boots" (circa Operation Desert Storm) have been my go to, until Sportsmans Guide ran out, and now I can only find posh hipster versions for 100 bucks a pair. I'm using an old pair of duck boots, going on 2 seasons now, no complaints. I would highly recommend Cabela's brand waders because of the customer service factor. Breatheables will develop leaks much faster, and are much more fragile than neos. I wear my neos from October to May, the rest of the time I spend in the kayak and wet wading.

I have a pair of Hodgman mfg code 205 waders I got for Christmas 12 years ago. They've actually probably only seen 3 or 4 good solid years of use but they have no leaks or pinholes. It's a 90-10 blend of Neoprene-Nylon. They are warm in the summer but to tell you the truth, if it's over 85 out I don't wear waders anyhow. The boots are part of the waders and non-detachable (no problems with traction). A big key in preventing leaks and pinholes is storage. I reccomend that they are kept hanging up at all times when not in use and never folded or tossed on the ground for long. You have a lot of great replies above, this is just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.