Trigger Grip vs 3 point Grip

Tom L

In the September issue of aTightLoop.com, Gary Borger's article on the Foundations of Casting (page 61-63) discussed 3 different grips for fly rod:

1) Thump on Top

2) Trigger Grip

3) Three Point Grip.

http://atightloop.com/PastEditions/September2011.html#

Gary preferred the Three Point Grip over the other.

I have been using the Trigger Grip for years, but after reading his article I went out and tried the Three Point Grip on my 6wt and 7wt rods casting wind resistant smallie flies. I found that it did not work too well, especially when I tried to shoot the line 50-60 feet out. I found that the Three Point Grip did not provide enough gripping power to secure the rod firmly. It worked well with my 4wt and 3wt rods casting drys or nymphs for up to 40 feet. After that I found the trigger grip provided better grip on longer casts over 50-60 feet.

I am just wondering if anyone been using the Three Point Grip and what were their experiences?

When deciding on which grip to get used to (and they all take getting used to) use the grip that best stops the rod on your back cast. With your heavier weight rods,you have a bit more inertia to handle. A thumb-on-top grip tends to be a better grip with rods of this weight; it helps you more effectively stop the rod. Saltwater rods are designed with an upwells cork handle. There's a convenient place to put your thumb.

If the grip you are using (or have switched to) doesn't let you effectively stop the rod, your rod load will dissipate.

The Three Point grip is useful to me for rods of lighter weights only.

Joseph

Thanks Joseph.

That confirmed my initial evaluations of the Three Point Grip too, that it is best for lighter rods. I have been comfortable with the Trigger Grip. I use it on all rod weights that I have from 3wt to 9wt. May be Gary was referring to trout fishing. That was his background.

Although, I do agree with one point that he made in the article is that "to gain a distance in casting, one needs to hold the rod as far back as possible, even putting the hand on top of the reel seat." I have been doing it for years without knowing the physics of it, but it just feels natural and it adds distances to my casts.

I agree with Joseph but realize that my endorsement means little since I can't claim to have expert status with anything related to casting :( I have noticed that many of these techniques espoused by the experts are often related to more classical trout fishing.

The 10 to 2 o'clock casting stroke, casting with a book tucked under one's arm, the stroke in a perfectly vertical plane, again all this is great for a lightweight rod casting a size 16 dry fly at a maximum distance of 30 feet. Unfortunately that's not what we often do while fly fishing for bass.

Guest airbornemike

My casting style has mutated into god knows what, but if it gets the fly where you need it (especially bass) that's all i care about. I rarely follow the rules of casting when real world situation is at hand ie wind, heat, bugs eating you alive, site casting.....

That said I always try and listen when a certified casting instructor has some solid advice for me on my casting stroke ;)

My casting style has mutated into god knows what, but if it gets the fly where you need it (especially bass) that's all i care about. I rarely follow the rules of casting when real world situation is at hand ie wind, heat, bugs eating you alive, site casting.....

That is where are the innovations and advancement of the fly fishing come from. If we all only follow rules and stick to experts' advices, we would be only fishing for trout now and doing the 10 o'clock and 2o'clock. The double hauls, side arm cast, oval cast have open the fly fishing sports to many other species. The most important thing in casting is be comfortable and do not injure yourself in the process. That being said a good foundation of casting is a good starting point too.

Dear Tom,

Thanks for your input on the Three Point Grip. Without seeing exactly how you are applying the Three Point, I have no way to give you an evaluation of your findings. But, let me make a few notes for you that could help. Lee Wulff said that the Three Point Grip was the strongest way to hold the fly rod, and he used it specifically with his big glass tarpon rods. I use it with all my rods, 2 wt through 12 without any difficulties. I have noticed, when I’ve taught casting classes, that often times the students have trouble because they hold the rod too much in the palm of the hand. The rod should be held in the cupped fingers of the rod hand so that the thumb makes a 30 to 45 degree angle with the rod handle. The rod should rest up against the bottom edge of the heel of the hand. With the rod in this position, one can use either the Trigger Finger Grip or simply move the index finger up to touch the side of the handle to create the Three Point Grip. Have a close look at the photos that accompany the article, and note the angles that the thumb and index finger makes with the rod handle.

If the Three Point Grip still gives you trouble, then stick with the Trigger Finger Grip. It’s a very solid grip—I used it for many years. It positions the middle bone of the index finger on the side of the handle. As I noted above, the only real difference between the Trigger Finger Grip and the Three Point Grip is that the end of the index finger is moved up to the side of the rod handle.

Gary Borger

Dear Mr Borger,

Thank you for your reply. I had tried the Three Point Grip only a few times. It may be that I'm still not used to it yet. I will follow your suggestions and keep on practicing.

Just want to let your know that I love reading all your books and articles. I ordered a copy of "Reading Waters" a week ago, but have not received it yet. Can't wait to dig into it. Again thank you.

Tom

Interesting article, but it seems to be geared toward precision casting for trout...If I'm going for distance...I want to use a key grip with my palm forward...Just like your grabbing a golf club, or turning a key in a lock. Mel Kreiger was a big fan of that grip. Cheers.

Interesting article, but it seems to be geared toward precision casting for trout...If I'm going for distance...I want to use a key grip with my palm forward...Just like your grabbing a golf club, or turning a key in a lock. Mel Kreiger was a big fan of that grip. Cheers.

OK you used the G--- word. I think the comparison is a good one, however. A G--- pro once explaned to me that there are two basic ways to grab a club. With the "ham sandwich" one holds the club like a baseball bat, two fisted. It is the worst grip for golf and would be the same for holding a rod. With a good grip, whether you ovelap or interlock, the club is gripped mainly with the fingers. It would look like the trigger grip.

After this discussion I may try the 3 point grip. I have seen golfers use it for putting.

I went out and gave the 3 point grip another try the other day. As many of us already suggested, I think it is more for precision casting. The 3 point fingers position is a lot like throwing a dart. I will stick with the Trigger Grip for bigger rods and distant casting; and switch to the 3 point grip for smaller rods and accurate casting.

It sounded like the Trigger Grip, the Key Grip, and the Golf Club Grip are the same. Just different people called it differently.

It has been a good discussion. Thank for all your inputs.