Dry Fly Dressing?

Terry Dodge

Anybody ever use fly dry dressing (!), dry fly dressing?

I got this stuff called Gink and was wondering if it might work on yarn?

I know, you probably think I'm an idiot. I've never used any kind of fly dry dressing mainly because I never fish with dry flies.

Just wondering if it might keep the yarn from getting overly soaked.

rumor is...gink floatant is abolene. it does work well as a floatant. if you could saturate the yarn enough it would help but if the yarn you are using is naturally absorbent nothing will keep it from saturating eventually. i suggeast you use a yarn made from a different material, like poly or antron. machrome yarn is polypropelene. timothy

My experience is that it (silicone based flotants) works, but doesn't last.

See if you can find some of this http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=77HY around.

On yarn I would guess it should work pretty well. Most indicator yarn is already impregnated with some additional repellent/buoyancy chemical when it is made.

Guest rich mc

i have a scotchgard typeproduct called magic shield . it can be used on my chenille shannon streamer to keep itfloating. i apply to the top onthe head and down the back so it sits in the film rich

Terry,

The tip about trying a different material is a keeper. Some yarns especially synthetics are naturally bouyant. Test by cutting off an inch or two and dropping it in a sink of water. Squeeze it to get out trapped air and make it absorb water. Push it under and see if it stays sunk or bobs to the top.

Flotants work, but they all wear off. BTW there are a lot of guys out there who swear by Albolene as a fly line dressing.

A product called Water Shed claims to permanently waterproof a fly after a 24hr curing time.Whenever it gets slimed up from fish contact the fly will of course have to be treated with shake n float which looks & feels like table salt.I hang my flies on a coat hanger during the curing time.

So I take it you have used this "Water Shed"? But not too happy with it?

I haven't used it enuf to see if it really is permanent but it has held up ok as far as I have used it on small trout flies.Being a liquid it works better on such flies than sillicone which could mat down their hackles.Sillicone's fine for larger flies bass bugs etc.