Driftless

John Gillio

Sue and I took Our annual two day trip through southwestern Wi. The colors are already starting to fade but it is a beautiful area. Here are a few shots.

post-1215-0-09694000-1318284599_thumb.jpg

A spring creek headwaters.

post-1215-0-56357000-1318284676_thumb.jpg

A spring creek.

post-1215-0-79671700-1318284718_thumb.jpg

Spring creek trout

post-1215-0-90399900-1318284761_thumb.jpg

post-1215-0-03862500-1318284870_thumb.jpg

post-1215-0-14480500-1318284946_thumb.jpg

post-1215-0-69254100-1318284994_thumb.jpg

Great food and prices along with a friendly atmosphere.

post-1215-0-74263600-1318285033_thumb.jpg

Some fruits of the trip.

Nice pics John. Especially the brooke trout!

I was up there the middle of last month for four days and caught my first tiger trout. It was a beauty.

Also have a couple Spotted Cows left in the fridge that I'm saving for when the Colts finally win a game!

Brian

Nice pics John especially the pics of the brookie. I fished trout in Mich.over the weekend where the colors were peaking.Colors came early this year perhaps due to the dry weather lately. Tower Junction Restaurant has pizza as good as you can get anywhere around here.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I really enjoy this part of the state. It's quiet and friendly.

Jude,I don't believe Tower Junction serves breakfast.

Jack, Tower Junction is just east of the intersection of County Rt.1(State Rt.80) and U.S.Rt.18, near the little town of Montfort. There are a series of wind towers on the south side of the road. It is about halfway between Dodgeville and Fennimore. If you travel to the intersection you will also find Rt.1 Popcorn and a few other shops.

Ron,give the prime rib a try. It melts in your mouth. The lamb chops are good too when they are available.

Another good eatery is Monk's in Crossplains Just west of Madison on U.S.Rt. 14.

John

I've had their prime rib. I was mistaken re the pizza recommendation in my post above.The excellent pizza I had was actually at the Cottonwood Bar & Grill which is also on Rte 18 not far from Tower.Make sure to adhere to the speed limit in Montfort especially if exiting the town on Cty I where a cop often sits cherry picking at the bottom of a hill where the limit is only 25mph.

John

I've had their prime rib. I was mistaken re the pizza recommendation in my post above.The excellent pizza I had was actually at the Cottonwood Bar & Grill which is also on Rte 18 not far from Tower.Make sure to adhere to the speed limit in Montfort especially if exiting the town on Cty I where a cop often sits cherry picking at the bottom of a hill where the limit is only 25mph.

Thanks for the "heads up" on this.

Nice photos John. I'll be in Southwestern Wisconsin this weekend, around Mount Horeb and Barneveld. I lived in Cross Plains for a few years, on a little trout ditch that drained into Black Earth Creek, and I agree that Monk's is a neat place. Can't wait to get out in the Wisconsin River and also have a few local brews.

It's truly a terrific part of the Midwest, especially for outdoor enthusiasts and beer drinkers.

Nice photos John. I'll be in Southwestern Wisconsin this weekend, around Mount Horeb and Barneveld. I lived in Cross Plains for a few years, on a little trout ditch that drained into Black Earth Creek, and I agree that Monk's is a neat place. Can't wait to get out in the Wisconsin River and also have a few local brews.

It's truly a terrific part of the Midwest, especially for outdoor enthusiasts and beer drinkers.

It's also nice for the wine and cheese lovers.

I've only fished the Wisconsin R. once. It was quite a few years back. I fished below the dam near Prairie du Sac and landed a bunch of white bass. I was amazed at the size and number of the sturgeon I was seeing, leaping full length out of the water. I was sure one would land in one of the many boats fishing the area that day. Hope you enjoy your trip.