Sandy Ford Nature Preserve

bruce petersen

Bruce,Otter Creek looks very promising but I have not fished it west of rt. 23. I have not fished the Sandy Ford area in a long time but have heard that this stretch has been poor the last few years.I just talked to a fellow who fished it in a Kayak all the way down to Lowell with only a drum to show for it. He said he did see quite a few carp. If you fish it I'd be interested in hearing how you do.I fished the next bridge downstream three times this year without a single smallie. It was once a good area but has been poor for bass the last few years.

Bruce,Otter Creek looks very promising but I have not fished it west of rt. 23. I have not fished the Sandy Ford area in a long time but have heard that this stretch has been poor the last few years.I just talked to a fellow who fished it in a Kayak all the way down to Lowell with only a drum to show for it. He said he did see quite a few carp. If you fish it I'd be interested in hearing how you do.I fished the next bridge downstream three times this year without a single smallie. It was once a good area but has been poor for bass the last few years.

Thanks John.

It seems there's been a lot of that "poor for bass the last few years" going around hasn't there? At least in part probably due to the frequent flooding of the streams in spring/early summer killing the spawns.

Ditto on John's comments. I live in Lowell and have chosen streams farther away for the simple fact that you have to bust your butt to scratch out a 10 inch smallie. Carp are so thick, you can walk across them. However, I have hooked a few big carp that put up a serious fight. One gave me finger burn when it pealed 30 yards of line in less than five seconds. It might have went 10 lb or so.

Why is the big V a bust these last few years? Well, one could blame many fronts. Such as:

1. Flooding has ruined many a spawn periods.

2. The Carp have made it all the way up to Streator

3. Poor farming practices within the watershed.

4. Over harvest of game fish.

5. Sewer goo has increased in volume. The amount of foam has increased from what I rememeber. I never could understand why cities can dump reprocessed pee/poop water into our rivers.

They all have good points. What bothers me is that we do not have the money to preserve this river like many other states do to theirs. What a shame.