Access to Vermilion R.

Fredmo

I'm curious if there is a good location to get into the Vermilion R. near Mathiesson St. Park, without needing to scale a cliff or climb a mountain? Seems like it is a real chore to get to the river anywhere around the park.

From Mike Svob's "Paddling Illinois" page 106-- "put in downstream-right from the graceful arches of the Lowell Bridge. At the end of a short road off Highway 178

( Co. Rd. N2249 ) " This puts you on a 7.5 mile stretch the includes class 2-3 Wildcat Rapids, a portage around a dangerous dam and "The Narrows" with large waves.

Mike calls it a "great destination for skilled whitewater paddlers " Be careful.

From Mike Svob's "Paddling Illinois" page 106-- "put in downstream-right from the graceful arches of the Lowell Bridge. At the end of a short road off Highway 178

( Co. Rd. N2249 ) " This puts you on a 7.5 mile stretch the includes class 2-3 Wildcat Rapids, a portage around a dangerous dam and "The Narrows" with large waves.

Mike calls it a "great destination for skilled whitewater paddlers " Be careful.

The cement mill that owns most of the land in this area has closed the river from the wild cats to Oglesby. The river is closed to any fishing, rafting, canoeing, and kayaking from the Lowell bridge to Oglesby. The only areas that are fishable without permission from landowners would basically all be reached through the park or below the bridge.

what a load of BS....when did the cement mill do this ? Thanks for the heads up John, must have happened after the publication of Svob's book. Bastards !

It has been three years now. They say it may be open again by next year. This past month they placed a large number of big cement blocks in the hole below the dam. This is to eliminate the undertow below the lowhead dam at the mill. There were too many people going over the dam, and getting injured,instead of following the signs stating to use the fish ladder or portage to the right. The wildcats are more dangerous now too. This is due to a landslide the year before they closed the river. The water at the head of the rapids now slams you into the large rocks on the right side of the channel. Most canoes and kayaks are flipped there now.I would suggest portaging here too, when the river opens. There is a trail to the left around the large rocks. It is upsetting that it is taking so long to get it reopened. It is affecting some of the businesses in town and ,of course,the four outfitters who had business on this stretch of river.

I really was looking for a place to get in and wade.. we were up there with an ISA group not too many months ago and it was a real chore to get down to the river from the south part of the state park(actually, going down wasn't too bad, it was coming back up, after it started raining, that just about killed me.) I crossed the river at Lowell on Tuesday while taking grandkids to hike in the dells area, and it looked too low to float anything there.

I wonder, has anyone challenged the cement plant's right to close the river? I know there has been discussion on these forums about the law regarding navigable waters that would suggest they might not have such a right.

It sounds like, from all that I have read on river law,and from attorneys versed in it, the federal courts have stood with the people having the right to use any moving body of water for recreational purposes. The states seem to have come up with their own laws. Somehow the DNR in Illinois has a say and they are standing with the mill, being that they own the land on both sides of the river. The expense of pushing it past the Illinois courts would be tremendous. A good source of info. is www.nationalrivers.org/us-law-facts.htm.

I don't think there is a way to reach the river through the park that doesn't involve a fair walk and or some climbing. Maybe you can get some info. from the park rangers at Starved Rock State Park, as they are also in charge of Matthiessen. The rest of the river in the area is privately owned.

"I wonder, has anyone challenged the cement plant's right to close the river? I know there has been discussion on these forums about the law regarding navigable waters that would suggest they might not have such a right."-fredmo

dnr officers are evidently patrolling not only the river but the cement company's property as well. which is intresting. they are using their badges but in one incident i know of were off duty and was suggested were on the hire of the cement company. sounds like muddy turbulant water to me. timothy

The river is in a valley for most of the stretch from lowell to the mouth. There is no easy way in places with access. Your best bet is going towards Pontiac. The closer to Pontiac, the less of a chore to the water. Its finding public access that becomes the new chore.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get access to the Vermillion River at most of the LaSalle County highways. There is a good canoe trip from The

Hop-a-long Cassidy canoe launch on Rt 18 ( Main Street ) just west of downtown Streator IL to The Sandy Ford Bridge on County Highway 5 ( N 18th Road ). You can also park by these bridges - County Highway 29 ( E 15th Road ), & County Highway 57 ( E 12th Road ) this bridge is known as The Red White & Blue Bridge. This bridge is where the river gauge is located. I think you can get to the river on Oakley Ave., County Highway 29 I am not real sure about this one though.

One place by Matthiessen Park is at the west end of N 2309th Road, this is just a one lane gravel road that ends in a small lot to park at. The path to river will fork, the left fork takes you to Big Bend. It's big limestone formation that the river curves around. It is a big cliff, The right fork is a more gradual path to the river but it is a longer walk and you have to remember where you came in at so you can find your way back out.

Bill S.

I've fished the river several times this year in many different areas. My advise, from experience & in talking with others is don't bother fishing from Streator on downstream. I have seen maybe a half dozen carp and that is it. Upstream from Streator seems fine.

I work with several people that live in or around Streator and they confirm my suspicion that there is a problem in that area, and affects the river downstream for miles. There is a source of large-scale contamination going on there.

Look to the Areas between Pontiac and Streator and you'll do well.

I've fished the river several times this year in many different areas. My advise, from experience & in talking with others is don't bother fishing from Streator on downstream. I have seen maybe a half dozen carp and that is it. Upstream from Streator seems fine.

I work with several people that live in or around Streator and they confirm my suspicion that there is a problem in that area, and affects the river downstream for miles. There is a source of large-scale contamination going on there.

Look to the Areas between Pontiac and Streator and you'll do well.

Smallmouth numbers do seem to be down considerably in the lower stretches of the river. I'm surprised about the water quality though. Past reports that I have seen have given better marks for the lower stretch than that between Streator and Pontiac. I have not, however, seen a recent report. The Asian carp popullation is massive downstream from Streator. My thoughts are that this may be having an effect on the smallie population. In many areas they go balistic if you step on a rock too loudly. I have seen quite a few bow fishermen in this stretch and they seem to be taking quite a few shots. I would say there is no problem with the carp population. I'm on the water a couple times each week, mostly on waters downstream from the Red,White, and Blue Bridge.

Any ideas where the contaminants are coming from, if they exist? I would hate to see a good river go bad again. It has improved tremendously since the early seventies.

I too would like to know where the contaminants are coming from? I have been fishing this river hard for about 10 years. I used to do all my fishing from Streator to Red, White and Blue bridge. Years ago the fishing was outstanding and then it dropped off quickly. Now I rarely fish that stretch of river. I have talked with the state about the decline and they have noticed the same thing when shocking that stretch of river. I wonder if there was a fish kill in that stretch. Or maybe the Asian Carp do have something to do with the decline? Sure would like to figure something out.

John,

I'll inquire with my Streator contacts this week and find out the exact location of the problem. I know they said that there is a plant in Streator, either a fertilizer plant or a cement plant, that had a significant spill into the Vermillion.

I've been fishing the Vermillion once a week for the last six weeks. I usuallly try to hit a different spot every week. I work in Pontiac, third shift, and fish on either Thursday or Friday mornings when I get off work. I've tried all the bridges on the west-side of Pontiac and Humiston Woods and the fishing seems fine. I've tried the canoe launch area in Streator, and the bridges north of Kangley, as well as Mathiesen Park with no luck. The water downstream of Streator is a nasty, clouded mess. I've also noticed the fishing dropping off significantly at Mathiesen over the last three years. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't seen any Asian carp, although I've heard many reports of them being in the river.

There is definately something going on with the river and it isn't good. I'll do some more digging and see what info I can come up with.