Getting skunked on the DuPage!

Ryan Kral

Hello guys. I live about 5 minutes from the West Branch of the Dupage, and that is my go to fishing place when looking for a quick fix. I have been fly fishing on the river for about a year now, different sections, and I seem to have very little luck. I am fairly new to Smallmouth Fishing, but I have tryed all kinds of tactics, in places where I would expect to see fish. I go back and forth between streamers, poppers, leech and crayfish patterns, to using indicators with a double worm, nymphs, but nothing, I tend to hook more carp in the process. I have fished it in all different weather conditions, year round. I dont know what Im missing, but its gotta be something, I know theres fish there. Any suggestions, starting to get frustrating! Thanks, Ryan

My experience is that fishing in our area began cycling down last year & has only gotten worse this year. :( I haven't done any good ffing since early May.Try fishing the sunrise/sundown hrs.If that doesn't work find something else to do with your free time at least for the time being.

Hey Ryan--had a similar set of issues while fishing the Dupe near Hammel Woods for the last few weeks--about 5 outings. My first reaction is, if you can catch carp consistently, carry on by all means. I think they are spectacular game fish and will certainly put up a battle to match even the toughest smallie. I took one on a dry and it spooled me, and broke me off about 100 yds downstream--just awesome power. That being said, how to solve the smallie problem? I don't think it is a lack of fish. I have been fishing the mornings and have seen plenty of large smallmouths cruising the banks and pools. (I also get quite a few "tips" from passing boaters on fish locations.) So why the hard time? Who knows? But this is what I did and it worked for me.

1. Keep moving. The trout fisherman in me has a tendency to fall in love with "can't miss" holes/lies. So I'll take a bunch of passes at one spot, resting it as needed, while finagling with my fly/tippet/leader, presentation etc. This is a waste of time on the Dupe for smallies, I have concluded. Some places just don't hold fish, despite that perfect rock pile and heap of deadwood. No amount of presentations will raise a fish that is not there. Move on. More water, more fish. Hit it again on the way back.

2. Change it up, fast. I have yet to find the fly equivalent of my old spin casting clear/green Tiny Torpedo. That lure was simply irresistible to smallies. I use streamers, poppers, dry flies, large nymphs, terrestrials and they all work about the same. Sounds like you are doing this too. But again, if you are not drawing strikes, change it up. I was tossing a large popper along the banks in about 2 ft or water. Not a stirring. I tied on a smaller panfish sized popper, slid back down to where I started and worked the same water again. I immediately picked up 4 nice fish. Same water, 20 minutes later. That popper worked until it literally disintegrated from the repeated maulings. I then when back to streamers, etc and caught no fish. I searched my box and came up with the weakest popper I have ever seen. Could have been a gag lure but it was small, had an OK hook and so I thought I 'd give it a try. First cast nailed a mid-sized fish. Popper was blown up and useless but I solved the riddle, right? Small poppers on the Dupe. So I stopped off at the tackle shop on the way home, filled up on panfish poppers and was back at the Dupe early the next day. And caught no fish on small poppers. After an hour or so, I tried fishing the deeper pools with a deceiver, and bingo. Lesson, tie on some xtra tippet and change lures quickly if you get no action.

3. Fish the middle. I focused mostly on "prime" water. Banks, overhanging limbs, structure, pools. But I also found (maybe everyone already knows this) that there are some nice fish in the middle of the stream as well. Since there are no rocks like a large freestone stream and the water seemed featureless and shallow, I passed it over, but a couple times while mindlessly retrieving a long cast or letting my line just hang out down stream I got a couple hits. Weed lines/sand lines/depressions seem to be where they hold. It's hard to find this water but I know that stretch I fish pretty well (as I am sure you do too) so give these middle stream sections a try too. Could save you from a skunking.

4. When. I have had poor luck very early, say from 4:30- 8ish. After that, things always seem to pick up. I figured the earlier the better. Not so right now. 9 -10 AM seems to be the money time. I have not fished the evenings so can’t say.

This is all basically fishing 101 stuff, which I am sure you know, but as applied to the Dupe right now July 2011, perhaps it can help you out a bit. Tight lines.

ps

Ryan, this time of year, look for the fastest moving water you can find. No current, no fish.

I'll definitely second that advice. If it comes with shade so much the better. Don't be afraid to use very aggressive presentations either.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, Im stumped. I do really enjoy sight fishing for carp in the shallows, and have actually been doing more of that, I might just stick to that the way things are going, god knows theirs plenty of carp in the Dup! Oh well, I'll keep trying, and keep moving. Ryan