Winnebago County Needs Money

Paul Swiech

I was at Kishwaukee River Forest Preserve yesterday and there were not less than three Winnebago County Sheriff's vehicles there with I don't know how many officers giving out tickets for non-registered watercraft. There were checking out anything that was not a bonafide inner tube, claiming that while tubes don't need to be registered, everything else does. I realize that applies to canoes and kayaks (good ole Illinois) but these guys wanted paperwork on anything with a floor or bottom. Blow up rafts and "easy chairs", torpedoes, swimming pools (?), who knows what else. What about belly boats? Would one of those get ticketed? How about a pontoon like Terry's? I know some tubes you can buy have bottoms. Do those count? :blink:

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone planning a float through Winnie County.

I was at Kishwaukee River Forest Preserve yesterday and there were not less than three Winnebago County Sheriff's vehicles there with I don't know how many officers giving out tickets for non-registered watercraft. There were checking out anything that was not a bonafide inner tube, claiming that while tubes don't need to be registered, everything else does. I realize that applies to canoes and kayaks (good ole Illinois) but these guys wanted paperwork on anything with a floor or bottom. Blow up rafts and "easy chairs", torpedoes, swimming pools (?), who knows what else. What about belly boats? Would one of those get ticketed? How about a pontoon like Terry's? I know some tubes you can buy have bottoms. Do those count? :blink:

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone planning a float through Winnie County.

Pontoons count. I have 2 of them and both are registered and have numbers. No floor or bottoms on them. If it's considered a watercraft, you have to register it.

Yes, belly boats (float tubes) need to be registereed. Looks kinda wierd with all those numbers across the side, but this is, after all, Illinois.

A friend who owned a downstate fly shop informed me of this years ago. I was shocked at the time, but nothing shocks me anymore.

Brian

Mine is registered but I was told that the numbers do not have to be stuck on inflatables. I keep the sticker and paper work in one of the many pockets on the 'toon in a zip lock baggie.

I have never been checked. Last year I ran into an officer who asked if it was registered and I said....."Yes, would you like to see my papers?" and he then replied.......

"No. Since you are taking out, I don't need to see them."

I thought this seemed strange but oh well.

Anybody doing any kind of floating on the Kish on weekends be sure to have your craft registered and be sure to have your pfd. They will check.

PatH - Yes that counts.

Yes, belly boats (float tubes) need to be registereed. Looks kinda wierd with all those numbers across the side, but this is, after all, Illinois.

A friend who owned a downstate fly shop informed me of this years ago. I was shocked at the time, but nothing shocks me anymore.

Brian

If floatubes have to be registered it seems odd that having fished from one literally countless times since the mid 60's including at Mazonia for the last 20 yrs and once just a few yrs ago was approached by a game warden while using one that I've never been asked for proof of registration.It may be that they have "tuber" status where no registration is required.I have a call out to the DNR + will advise.

Btw floatubes are allowed in some counties such as Will but not in others such as Dupage.