Float your Boat South Side

It really would be nice if we could get one of our coosa owners to bring a coosa to this outing.There has been quite a bit of interest among members in actually seeing one and possibly taking one for a test paddle.

Anyone interested?

This was the second Float Your Boat I've attended, and I think it's a great event. If you're thinking of buying a boat, canoe, or kayak, but would like to try one out before spending the money only to find out that you don't like it, or in my case, that it doesn't like you (more about that later), you should come to this event. I'd like to thank Ed for putting everything together, and for taking so much time out of his fishing to save my sorry butt. Also, I'd like to thank Joe for bringing out the Coosa and allowing me to flip it in the lake...twice. In my defense, the event is called Float Your Boat, and I proved that the kayak floats on both sides. How many of you can say that? Heck, I'd even like to thank the random passer-by who saw me fall in, called 911, then spent some time lecturing Ed and me on the physics of a high center of gravity, a lesson that becomes crystal clear in that split second between realizing that you've leaned over too far and actually hitting the water.

On a serious note, I'd like to encourage everyone to wear a PFD whenever you're on the water. No matter how good a swimmer you think you are, you never know what situation you're going to face. I once heard Chauncey say that we wear PFD's not for ourselves, but for our loved ones, who are waiting for us to return safely from an outing. My old SOSpenders brand fired perfectly, brought me back up to the surface quickly, and allowed me to gather my wits with no fear of being in danger.

Finally, since I lost a rod and reel at last year's event and fell out of a kayak at this one, I'd like to appeal to someone to bring a watercraft that's a bit broader across the beam to next year's event. I'm thinking something along the line of a pontoon boat, or perhaps an aircraft carrier. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to tip one of those, although on some perverse level, I'd like to try. So maybe you shouldn't bring your new pontoon boat or aircraft carrier.

Have a great summer, and I'll see you at a future event.

John

John wish you would have checked out my pond hopper. I had Pat throwing fly's from it. Spiz and i had no problem.

At the Shabbona Float your Boat, I had my 16' SmokerCraft out there. I was able to have 2 Flyfishers throwing all day.

John

No thanks are necessary,your safety is far more important than any fishing time.Actually you handled the situation very well and displayed a great deal of dignity in the situation.

Eugene,Spiz and Pat H joined John and I on a beautiful morning on Whalon lake to particiapate in the Float Your Boat South event.Eugene brought his pond hopper ,I brought my solo canoe and Jim Jozwiak provided his coosa kayak.We found out that the coosa can be tipped over.The good news is that it was a nice morning for a swim.Don't feel bad John,we have all taken a swim at one time or another

The fishing was rather slow under the bluebird skies but it was still a very nice outing.It is a shame that more members didn't come out to take advantage of this worthwhile outing.

Ed B

John W:

Gotta say I cannot believe you tipped the Coosa. That boat has unbelievable stability. You must have leaned a LONG, LONG ways to make that boat flip. I have been in tons of canoes and kayaks and the Coosa is about as wide beam as you are going to get. Keep in mind the boat is so stable that you can stand up in it.

• 3 weeks later...

John W:

Gotta say I cannot believe you tipped the Coosa. That boat has unbelievable stability. You must have leaned a LONG, LONG ways to make that boat flip. I have been in tons of canoes and kayaks and the Coosa is about as wide beam as you are going to get. Keep in mind the boat is so stable that you can stand up in it.

I agree. I've been in a Coosa and couldn't imagine someone tipping it unless it was intentional or some major rapids or object in the water caused it.