Looking for 3 wt fly rod

jude

I broke the 4 wt that I use in the driftless area for troots. Thinking about going down to a 3 wt. Any of you Buggers have a 3 wt gathering dust that you'd be willing to sell?

Jude,

Have you thought to return the broken rod to the mfr? Most rods are warranted for breakage. And some don't require original receipt. Then you could take the first rod (after the mfr returns it to you) and trade it for a 3wt. Or keep both. Then you'll have two rods, which is always better than one. In fact, everyone knows the more rods and gear we have, the more fish we catch.

Jude,

Have you thought to return the broken rod to the mfr? Most rods are warranted for breakage. And some don't require original receipt. Then you could take the first rod (after the mfr returns it to you) and trade it for a 3wt. Or keep both. Then you'll have two rods, which is always better than one. In fact, everyone knows the more rods and gear we have, the more fish we catch.

Speaking of 2 rods the guy I partenered with on my recent driftless trips had 2 rods rigged up,a tandem rigged nymph set up & a dryfly rig to quickly & easily take advantage of any occasional rising fish w/o the hassle of repeatedly re-rigging tying tiny flies on tiny tippets or passing up the dryfly opportunity due to the hassle.

Jude

It can get windy on those wide open streams especially in Spring when the hatches occur.A 4wt would handle the wind a little better than a 3.Maybe a medium action 4 instead of a fast action.With either a 3 or a 4 I would use a line one size heavier for the wind.Than again I have all my rods lined up that way.

Jude,

Actually, I plan on having the 4wt repaired, but I'm sure that will take a little time. That's why I'm looking for a 3wt now. No need to have two 4wt rods.

Ron...I know all about the wind up there. It can be a real pain. Carrying two rigged rods sounds like a pain as well, but would come in handy for the intermittent risers. How does he carry the second rod?

Actually, I plan on having the 4wt repaired, but I'm sure that will take a little time. That's why I'm looking for a 3wt now. No need to have two 4wt rods.

Ron...I know all about the wind up there. It can be a real pain. Carrying two rigged rods sounds like a pain as well, but would come in handy for the intermittent risers. How does he carry the second rod?

In hand which requires coming back for it after fishing a run; but as you know the runs/pools are pretty short Having a dryfly rod at the ready eliminates the pain of frequent retying.It depends on which you consider the bigger pain to be.Two 4 wts would be good for the 2 rod system.

I purchased a Cabela's 3wt in their bargain cave section on their website. I believe it was for around $40! I was a little nervous about the quality until I recieved it. Good quality, I used it in the Driftless areas of Wisconsin and Iowa this spring, and use it all the time around here for bluegill. Definetely glad I purchased it, casts as well as my high end 4wt.

Jude,

I use a "Third Grip" when wade fishing to hold a second spinning rod. I turn the third grip around so the rod points behind me on my off hand(I'm right handed). Not sure if it would get in the way of fly casting, I do hook it every once in awhile while casting the spinning set up. I also need to watch out when getting past low trees, as you basically have a 6' pole attached to your waist like a flag pole. Just a suggestion....I think the below picture shows the setup pretty well.

10-24-10_1524.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.