Smallmouth in a gravel pit

Mike Straub

I would like a little help. I have been fishing a gravel pit that was stocked with Smallmouth Bass about 7 years ago. I have only caught little dinks on topwater baits last September. I spoke to another person who fishes the gravel pit and he said he caught a 4 pounder a couple of years ago but doesn't remember what he used to catch it. There are steep drop offs all around the shore and pit is about 32 feet deep at it's deepest. There are weeds all over the bottom and there is some timber along the shores. Because of the weeds my fish finder can't distinguish a rock pile, the weeds are so thick that that is all that shows up. It is clear water as well. I can see about 10-12 feet down.

I would like some help with technique. I can catch LMB and Rainbow Trout all day but I would like to try and target the Smallmouth. Any Suggestions on baits and where to target them would be appreciated.

Mike,I used to fish a clearwater pit that had all the same features except the deep water. It had ledges that dropped into it's deepest areas of about 10 ft. It changed over the years from strictly smallies to strictly largemouths. Three inch white twisters would catch smallies all day bounced near the bottom especially near a rocky island, run just over the weeds, or worked down the ledges to the bottom. As the lake changed over a few years to a largemouth lake, I found that the smallies hit the twister much more readily than the bigmouths. The skirted bass spinners, topwaters, and plugs caught mostly largemouths. It wasn't too long before the smallies were overtaken by the largemouths. Just my experience, but the twisters may be worth a try.

There are a ton of largemouth in the lake. A guy already caught a 5 pounder and an 8 this year.

Mike,

Eric and John seem to have figured it out. Largemouths are dominating. All those weeds are what they like. I would say, just fish for bass. Smallmouths will come along with the Largemouths if there are any there. This spring should tell the tale. Since both bass species are easiest to catch and shallow early in the year, you have your best shot at Smallmouths in the next few months. What you get will tell you, what the Smallmouth population is.

It may help to purchase a underwater camera like an Aqua-view and go out and search for transition areas like gravel to sand or gravel to larger gravel. Or even better isolated rock piles. This usual will help eliminate the fishing part and accelerate the catching. Plus, you will see if there is a catch able population of them. Right around the corner is the spawn. You might want to search out the shallows and see if you can see many cruising or nest building. When you have located a few, try using a dropshot rig with 4-6lb flourocarbon. This rig works well in ultra clear water and perfect for smallies. Just remember that this is not a search tool. You can cast cranks and jerk baits right now for that. Another technique can be a split shot and sucker or chub on a long lined drift. Im not an expert but fishing the great lakes a lot has helped me out with fishing ultra clear water conditions. Hope this helps! Congrats on the 8lber! Thats a monster for us northern folk ;)

Why sweat the smallmouths when you can get big largemouths as well as trout from that pit where smallies are obviously in the minority as they usually are in stillwater where largemouths abound? If you want smallies head for moving water where smallies are most at home. I'd be targeting those holdover trout anyway.Great fighters & a rare find in our part of the country.I guess there's just no pleasing some people. :wacko:

Ronk,

I have been catching the trout. I caught an 18 inch rainbow last week with the Cotton Cordell Gay Blade, caught a small one this week on a Rebel Craw. Saw a few monster Rainbows cruising the shore line with the carp. I am hoping to catch one of those in the near future.

I fish a few similar pits. I like to fish with heavy but down sized bass jigs. Swimming grubs is a technique that seems to seperate the smb out also. If you locate any deeper rock piles drop shotting them would also be what I would try. Something I havenot done in a long time is to throw small flies and tubes on a water bobber.Good luck

If they're not in shallow go deep with jigs, carolina rig , dropshot. Also try deep crankbait or jig a blade or rattle bait. The smallmouth in the ponds I fish can be very fickle but if you go deep you can usually get a few. Seems like it's good to keep moving when you find them they're bunched up. Fish the low light conditions and focus on choppy banks. Sounds like fun.

Phil f