RETIREMENT

SKollmann

Well . . . I finally came of age to retire, so I gave IRON Financial my Notice of Retirement this past week effective April 15, 2011. Net result . . . much more time to offer my services to the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance and Walleyes Unlimited. Yeh!!!

Another banner event also took place this week when I took a day off work, went down to Cabela's, and ordered my retirement dream . . . a new fishing boat which will expand my fishing opportunities from shore fishing, wading, and float fishing to hunting down catch-and-release smallies plus keeper walleyes in larger lakes.

17' Alumacraft with a 150 hp 4-stroke Yamaha, 9.9 hp. 4-stroke Yamaha kicker motor, and a 101 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor with remote AutoPilot. Also added a Humminbird side-imaging structure locator and a marine radio in the event an unfortunate mishap occurs while on Lake Michigan.

Will be offering an outing or two in conjunction with next year's Bronzeback Blowout, but first I need to gain some experience as I migrate from a 17' kevlar canoe to a 17' aluminum fishing boat.

That is a very nice setup for fishing the inland lakes and rivers around this great country of ours. Congratulations on your up coming retirement. I have bee retired since 2005 and love every minute of it.

X Lent. Steve!

I retired in 2008. In my experience, you will be busier than when you worked. Keep that a secret from the former boss.

Two thumbs up! Or more if you can count toes!

Steve, I bought a retirement Alumacraft 16.5' last year. A couple things you may want to check:

1. The two side compartments get water in them when you fish in the rain/let it set in the rain and don't dry out (mildewed rods and life preservers).... my dealer put in two drain holes for me.

2. The paint is not tough at all (gouges/scratches) - no remedy but be very careful around docks, etc. - get bumpers

3. My guages fog up when the weather is bad and the tack goes crazy sometimes.....we are watching that.

I had most trouble with the trailer - tires wore out in 3 months. The tire dealer here said 'bad balancing'. We will see on this new pair. The trailer comes with 35lb of air so they will seat/seal - then they should be pumped up to 50 and run at that. You may want to get them balanced (it took 3 big weights on each rim for me)

It's a nice boat with plenty of room - I have a 90 four stroke Yahama - it idles at 800 rpm which is too fast for most trolling so I have to use a kicker for that.

you made it. hope to see you at shabbona this season . your electric will do fine there. rich

Thanks, Rich . . . since I will be domiciling my boat in southern Wisconsin (get away from Chicago traffic), my initial plan is to still use my canoe or rent a boat at Shabbona and other near-home fisheries rather than dragging my boat down to Illinois. Of course, plan may change with experience. Steve

Congrats!! I will be joining you June 1. I made the move to boating about 5 years ago with a used 17 ft. Sylvan. Make sure you take one of the free boating courses, you boat dealer should be able to provide you the details. Stock up on the safety equipment, flares, first aid kit, et. Your boat is the perfect size for fishing almost anywhere in this area. I fish from the Illinois River to LaSalle to the big lake. Don't be shy about asking for suggestions, help or a fishing buddy. The ISA is a great group of folks, always there to help.

Congrats on your retirement, I retired in 1995 and have done lots of travel in my rv, just upgrade from a 22' to a 34' last year, travelled western states last year, 7200 in six weeks, good weather is here we are on our way for our second trip this year, come next winter will be spending six weeks, South Padre Island with boat in tow.

THREE WEEKS AND COUNTING !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well . . . I finally came of age to retire, so I gave IRON Financial my Notice of Retirement this past week effective April 15, 2011. Net result . . . much more time to offer my services to the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance and Walleyes Unlimited. Yeh!!!

Another banner event also took place this week when I took a day off work, went down to Cabela's, and ordered my retirement dream . . . a new fishing boat which will expand my fishing opportunities from shore fishing, wading, and float fishing to hunting down catch-and-release smallies plus keeper walleyes in larger lakes.

17' Alumacraft with a 150 hp 4-stroke Yamaha, 9.9 hp. 4-stroke Yamaha kicker motor, and a 101 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor with remote AutoPilot. Also added a Humminbird side-imaging structure locator and a marine radio in the event an unfortunate mishap occurs while on Lake Michigan.

Will be offering an outing or two in conjunction with next year's Bronzeback Blowout, but first I need to gain some experience as I migrate from a 17' kevlar canoe to a 17' aluminum fishing boat.