kirbing hooks on rattlebaits

Norm M

I fish rattlebaits a lot in a river and have always had issues with bringing all of them to hand after the initial hookset. I changed out factory hooks to premium hooks, played with different sized hooks, multiple hooksets on every fish, holding the rod away from the direction the fish was going and still about 30 to 35 percent would come unbuttoned during the fight. I never got really too upset about it because I was going to release them anyway. For the last week or so, I have been kirbing the hooks on my rattlebaits and now it's down to a fish or two a trip that come unbuttoned.

Well, that doesn't include airborne fish but I've never begrudged the fish that leap and throw the lure. Even after almost 40 years of chasing river fish, that still gives me a thrill to see fish come out of the water. Especially the ones that tailwalk across the surface.

kirbing is twisting the hook points to the right or left, also can open up the hookpoint a bit but that's not technically kirbing.

my spitting image shad[old model] came with kirbed hooks, I believe I get better results than with my spook that doesn't. i will be rectifing that.

thanks norm. it must be part of that river rat language called kankanese. lol rich

Actually I first read about it in an old fishing book, think it was from the 20's or 30's. Also Dick Bergland aka Mr Jig on RS has spoke of it as well.

Sometimes we already have the solution that comes from a different source and just have to make the connection to our current problem which may not be related to the source of the solution.