Saturday's Kish wade

jude

We had a decent showing for the wade trip on Saturday. Terry, Bill K, Deb, Paul, Paul's son Isaac, and I met for breakfast at the Cherry Valley Cafe for a shot of grease to get us going for the day. All of us except for Paul and Isaac headed upstream from State Street in Cherry Valley. Paul and Isaac headed downstream. Paul pretended that it was because it was too deep upstream for his son, but we all knew it was because he didn't want to share his Power Leeches. The water was very clear and at a good wading level for a change. As usual, I started with the Chug Bug. I had a good fish hit it early. His initial aerial acrobatics didn't throw the hook, but wrapping my line around a log was his ticket to freedom. The rest of the day didn't live up to the expectations after the early action, but it wasn't too bad. I ended up with 11 smallies in the 8-12 inch range, a fat rock bass, and a decent northern. About half came on the chug bug, the other half on the jointed Rapala. Working the j-rap against the current in fast, deep, narrow channels seemed to work best. We were off the water by 1:00.

Deb had some success in a slack water area throwing a small dark green wormy thing. I thing she also got a couple on a small crank for a total of 8 smallies. Bill could only get one to take his plastic offering, and Terry ended the day with a skunking. He knew going in he wasn't going to catch anything, so he only fished with his fly rod so he'd have an excuse. He's not as dumb as he looks. Paul got a few downstream of us.

It was a beautiful morning to be on the river, the first time in a while that mother nature smiled on the NW region.

Terry's got no excuse! I gave him a tip before the trip on what my son and I were catching them on Thursday. The secret...a super fluke junior, tandem rig on a 3 way swivel. Cut 2 lengths of line, 1 at 8 inches the other at 12. It gives the illusion of chasing baitfish and is very effective right now! Was in this months Infisherman. I guess some people would rather watch others catch fish. :D

So I take it Aug. 29th is the official Bash Terry Day.

Oh yeah!! Well I'll have you guys know that I'm on the hunt for the monster Kishwaukee River smallmouth (clicking heels together) and as far as me not being as dumb as I look.....

Dorothy(Jude) - I thought you said you like my shirt?! I did land 2 dinks later after we split but then about 100 canoes showed up, so my day didn't end in a skunk.

Toto (Corey) - "Tandem rig on a 3 way swivel" ? That's like the smart hillbilly way of fishing with more than two poles.

So you guys just go ahead and keep trashing me but know this.... at the end of the year I will have landed a bigger smallie than either one of you from my river.

That's right Dorothy, I'm going to get you and your little dog too.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2010 at 4:47 AM, Corey Jones said:

Terry's got no excuse! I gave him a tip before the trip on what my son and I were catching them on Thursday. The secret...a super fluke junior, tandem rig on a 3 way swivel. Cut 2 lengths of line, 1 at 8 inches the other at 12. It gives the illusion of chasing baitfish and is very effective right now! Was in this months Infisherman. I guess some people would rather watch others catch fish. :D

I've fished 3 way rigs before especially on the IL river for sauger. We would bait them, drop them straight down and pull or drift them. The question I have is how do you cast that rig? Any time I've tried to cast a 3 way rig it gets tangled. I can see doing a tandem dropshot rig. At least you can cast it without becoming a ball of wax.

It was nice to meet up with the gang for breakfast. Sarah had some business to attend to so I had the kids. My daughter wanted to sleep in but my boy wanted to go. After I got him on the water all he wanted to do was swim. He wanted to go home and get his mask and snorkle. So we did and then my daughter was up so we went to a more swim freindly spot. I ended up catching a few little smallmouths out of a hole. I then took a break and helped the kids catch crawfish. One bit me so I decided to get payback so I hooked it up on a plain unweighted hook and free swam it into the hole. 1st cast produced a very skinny 17" smallmouth. I bet this fish didn't even weigh 2 pounds.