Kishwaukee wading trip scheduled for 8/28 ??

Hey Dave...sorry for the slow response. I think we should be in pretty good shape by then. Right now the river is about a foot higher than ideal, but hopefully the sky will stay closed 'til then and it will be OK. I'll post more as we get closer......Jude

I spent about 8 hours on the Kish today. The water level for the Kish right now (6:30pm, 8/22) is 6.35 which I myself consider to be about 4 inches over the norm. The clarity is about two and a half feet with

a swift current. I know Jude likes it to be a bit lower and with Tuesday being our only rain chance (20% pos.) and then the rest of the week in clear skies I'm sure the Kish will be in the best shape it's been

in all year for this wade outing.

I'm looking foreward to spending more time on Jude's river,blink.gifunsure.gifdry.gif

When I was able to call it my river, I did more than just spend 8 hours on it. I caught fish. I guess Jude will have to teach me how to catch fish on his river.

I spent about 8 hours on the river this weekend too. I ran into Jude but I didn't see you out Terry. I floated probably 9 miles and it all looked pretty good. Water is up probably 6 inches I would say but the clairity is good. Not too clear where ther are spooky but clear enough that they can chase lures. We put somewhere around 40 smallmouth in the canoe along with a pike biteoff right along the the boat. Also had a domestic goose follow us for 5 miles sometimes riding in the canoe sometimes just swimming along side. Animals just seem to be attracted to my daughter. Also saw a wild turkey and a red fox attack and just miss a squirrel. Most of the fish were 10-15" but I did get 2 brute 17.5"er Saturday AM. The hot lure was the berkley powerleech but senkos and poppers worked too. I could not catch any fish on crawfish imitators which was strange. I gave the yum craw bug and the hula grub some time but they didn't produce at all.

I spent about 8 hours on the Kish today. The water level for the Kish right now (6:30pm, 8/22) is 6.35 which I myself consider to be about 4 inches over the norm. The clarity is about two and a half feet with

a swift current. I know Jude likes it to be a bit lower and with Tuesday being our only rain chance (20% pos.) and then the rest of the week in clear skies I'm sure the Kish will be in the best shape it's been

in all year for this wade outing.

I'm looking foreward to spending more time on Jude's river,blink.gifunsure.gifdry.gif

When I was able to call it my river, I did more than just spend 8 hours on it. I caught fish. I guess Jude will have to teach me how to catch fish on his river.

Is it my river? Yes. Does that mean I have a clue how to fish? No. Yesterday's float is proof that I should have stuck to golf. As Paul mentioned, we saw each other on on the river. I had caught two at that point, the guy I was with had caught one. We passed a couple of waders drifting crawlers, and they'd been skunked so far. Hey...at least guys are getting skunked with live bait. Must just be a slow day. Along come Paul and his dad.

Paul: "Hey Jude...how's it goin'"

Jude: "Pretty slow...how 'bout you?"

Paul: "Not bad...we've boated 17 or 18 so far."

Jude (muttering under his breath): Jerkwad.

Jude (to Paul's face): Gee that's great! Nice seeing you! Good Luck!

Jude: (back to muttering): My grandma could boat 17 or 18 if she had some Power Leeches.

Paul - Glad to hear you and your Pop did so well. You probably didn't see me because I wasn't there on Saturday.

I hit a stretch early Friday morning, (I'm back to a 4 day work week so I have Fridays free.) didn't have much luck. I had a big fat spider

crawling on the back of my arms and neck for about an hour, then I was fishing a pool and lost a popper, tripped on a rock wading, fell and split my knee open, jumped

up so fast my camera never got wet, cursed the day and headed for home with nothing to show.

Stayed home and did yard work and other neat stuff on Saturday.

Sunday morning I had my 'toon in the water by 6am. and fished until 2pm. with only the one smallie to show.

It was a tough weekend and it's been a tough year for me thus far. This-morning I woke and thought about my weekend of fishing, then I smiled.

Looking back I think I can honestly say (and literally) that I hit rock-bottom on Friday. Things can only get better for me.

I noticed Sunday that I had lost all confidence in my ability to catch fish. I'm standing in a river waving a stick.

I'm looking foreward to this Saturday. Things are going to get better. I fish good water and I know the Kish well. I've just been have some bad "Jude" luck.

Jude - Sorry to hear things didn't go so well for you.

NOT!laugh.gif

See you Saturday morning.

You still have Power Leeches, Paul?

Wanna sell any?

:lol:

Or did they start producing them again....

Jude,

You crack me up, I just about fell out of my chair.

Yes, I still have a stash of berkley orginal ribbon style powerleeches. They are real and they are spectacular......to quote a Seinfeld episode.

No, they are not for sale. I'm dreading that fatefull day when I run out. I wish I had a lifetime supply that I could hand out to all my fishing buddies and they could experience the magic. Many years ago a former ISA officer Pete Plauk showed me the magical power of the ribbon style powerleech. When I found out they were discontinuing them I found an outlet store that was selling some closeout factory defect ones. I purchased 500 at that time and I am down to about 100 with 1/2 of them being defected ones. Any tips on how to melt them flat and straight again? I've tried pressing them between 2 sheets of plexiglass in the hot sun but that only helps a little.

I actually don't use them all the time because they are not the be all end all of lures. They don't cast very far, they don't last very long, and they don't cover water very quickly. They have become my #1 pitching lure when the water has a little stain and you want to fish low and slow tight to some good structure. They partner up with a 1/8oz spider sliderhead perfectly. It's been a few years now but I do have 2 reliable ISA members Pete & Kevin who each caught 20.5" kishwaukee river smallmouths on these leeches.

Anyway now everyone knows the story behind the leeches. I wonder what Berkley did with the original molds?

The conditions should be perfect this weekend for many of the area rivers and I'm sure some smallmouth will cooperate with a variety of different lures.