buzz baits

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

i read a tip on buzz baits today they suggest put a trailer hook on BUT put it on facing down.i normally add a plastic bait for better casting distance and more water disturbance. anyone use a trailer hook?

I have seen where pros like Shaw Grigsby always use them because there is always a chance of a short strike. Missing that one can be the difference in winning a tournament. Hook down makes semse if the water is not weedy. Personally I carry trailer hooks to put on only when needed though I can see the pros' point.

Tried them.

Don't like them.

Makes bait heavier which means having to run it faster to keep it up. Less ability to have a tempo or change tempos.

Gives the bait more bulk making it catch more wind. Less casting distance and less accuracy.

Most good baits are balanced well and that includes spinnerbaits which is another bait guys like to put trailers on. Adding another piece of hardware just seems to throw off the whole balance and working ability of the bait. The blade design and style, wire thickness all are designed to make the bait work well.

The guys I know that spend serious time with spinnerbaits and buzzbaits don't use them. And.. I'm talking about serious guys who catch a lot....

If a smallmouth wants that bait he will get it. If you are missing, it's not because the fish missed the bait it's because it slashed at it halfheartedly (sp) either just out of aggresion or whatever. When that happens (or if it happening multiple times) a follow up bait or changing to a different topwater is in order. You're finding and triggering fish with the buzzbait which is great. A change of lure will turn slashers into catchers.

The best buzzbait out there is the Honeybuzz which is the only buzzbait I know of with a hinged hook. The hook also has lead on it. It hangs lower in the water due to it not being one long solid piece like all other buzzbaits. Most buzzbaits guys use are cheap. Cheaply made, cheap hooks and cheap to buy. A Honeybuzz is a premium bait with a premium hook and a unique design.

I will second the power of the Honeybuzz buzzbait........truly unique and a fish-catcher for sure.

Here is the problem when it comes to trailer hooks. When smallie are really eating buzzbaits (like they often do), you are going to gut hook some fish with the trailer hook. Or you may start hooking fish in the eyes with the trailer hook. Trailer hooks not for me.

When smallies slash at buzzbait, but miss, I don't consider that a negative. I know the fish is there and I will normally throw the buzzer back one more time and if that does not elicit a response, I will simply switch to another bait. Usually if you throw something else at him, he will strike almost immediately.

In addition, if you get smallies swirling on the buzzbait, but missing it, try slowing it down or speeding it up. Often, with a different retrieve speed, the bass will cooperate.

OK, I admit that I'm no "expert" at this but with the limited experience I've had using buzz baits, I don't agree with any of your complaints. A stinger hook adds 25% more hook ups for me. Why miss the short strikes when you don't have too? A hook only weighs maybe an 1/16 oz, so? Also if you put a plastic pork chunk on it, it adds width and bulk which will make it sink slower and STAY on top. Maybe I've only got a few dozen on the lure but I've never hurt a fish with one. Cool thing is it's a big fish bait down here, rarely any under two pounds. I fish largemouths and use a triple wing buzzer on a fairly heavy casting rod (17 lb). What are you using? By the way, I like my hook point up, doesn't snag as much.

Spinning tackle for the most part.

It is definitely a big fish bait here too.

The far majority of time I throw directly upstream and sometimes quartering depending on location and current. So I am sensitive to the weight issue maybe a bit more but I get what you're saying about bulk holding it up. I think bringing it upstream against the current the bulk could help.

I don't consider them short strikes.

If that fish wanted to eat that bait he could have it at any time through the retrieve. Those are slashes to make to go away etc. Same thing happens with poppers. The bait is absolutely stationary and a bass will blow up on it. How on earth does it miss 6 hooks on a bait sitting still? It does though. So it's not just buzzbaits misses (for lack of a better word) happen on. I wouldn't consider adding more hooks to a popper even though a fish missed it. A lot of buzzbait rhetoric is just that. I think it's a misconception that bass miss buzzbait a lot. That comes from reading a lot and not actual time on the water with them.

Last week I took 15 bass exclusively on a buzzbait. Almost all smaller. (Damn, ruining my average) I throw it a lot through summer and fall since Mr. G turned me on to them when I was young.

I have come to believe that when a bass blows up on a buzz bait or a topwater they are often trying to just slam it and injure it or kill it and not necessarily try to eat it. That's why they often don't get hooked. As many have seen, after a bass misses a topwater, if you throw another bait like a senko back to the same spot they almost always will grab it. Maybe they think they killed or injured the bait and now it's an easy meal.

OK, I admit that I'm no "expert" at this but with the limited experience I've had using buzz baits, I don't agree with any of your complaints. A stinger hook adds 25% more hook ups for me. Why miss the short strikes when you don't have too? A hook only weighs maybe an 1/16 oz, so? Also if you put a plastic pork chunk on it, it adds width and bulk which will make it sink slower and STAY on top. Maybe I've only got a few dozen on the lure but I've never hurt a fish with one. Cool thing is it's a big fish bait down here, rarely any under two pounds. I fish largemouths and use a triple wing buzzer on a fairly heavy casting rod (17 lb). What are you using? By the way, I like my hook point up, doesn't snag as much.

Craig,

Let me get this right. You are saying 25% more with a trailer hook. That means, where you would only catch 4 without the trailer, you catch 5 with the trailer. You also would have evidence too. One out of five of your fish would be hooked on the trailer. Now these others, who don't use trailers, are saying, if bass don't get the the single hook, you would not have caught them anyway. Evidence?

I'll have to check out that Honeybuzz. Do you have a link to it?

Evidence?

lol

Can't get that image out of my mind Jude. You know the one with the power line and some rope.

Scott and Jim nailed it here.

Don't disregard the fact that bass chasing shad regard your bait as competition and are slamming it out of anger. I have seen this with all topwaters, buzzbaits and torpedo baits especially.

I've thrown my arm off on a buzzbait exclusively for hours when fishing lakes, and went with a trailer for a short time.

It made no difference in hook-ups for me.

While reading Jim's post that mentions spinnerbaits, I recall an interesting situation that happened for me often during dusk hours.

Jerking it just below the surface in fast twitches almost always provoked a strike, rather than a steady retrieve.

Almost like a buzzbait, just a couple inches deeper.

The triple-bladed buzzbait has been like magic...just can't remember where I got those from.

http://www.visionlure.com/servlet/the-Bass-Fishing-Buzzbaits/Categories

Evidence?

HA

We don't need no stinkin evidence.

I believe Mr. R. took this picture.

and you may notice this is not a Honeybuzz. If I were throwing a Honeybuzz the fish would have been bigger. HA and HA.

2cej0jm.jpg

Interesting thread. I generally use a trailer hook when throwing a buzzbait and sometimes with a spinnerbait,as long as it's not too weedy. I would not try to guess a percentage of improved hook up. But I have definitely caught fish that were only hooked on the trailer. I can't say that I recall gut or gill hooking a fish on the trailer hook yet.

I would recommend it, especially if one is experiencing short strikes and changing speeds, cadence or color doesn't help.

I definately understand the part about blow ups on top waters without hook ups. Interesting thing here, someone said that a fluke is a good follow up bait. I've had a lot of experience down here fishing with guys throwing flukes and getting those no hit blow ups only to follow up their miss with my fly popper and hooking up. Maybe the big green bass hit buzz baits different than smallies or I'm really fast on the trigger because I get a significant number of bass on the trailer hook. Call me greedy, cause I'll take that extra fish or two a day it gives me. (It may be the six pounder).

Rich,

I have only fished the Delta blades. They are the original ones. I did order a few lunker blades but they are too big.

I buy the smallest buzzbait they make which is a great size for smallmouth. It's still much bigger than most small buzzers that smallmouth anglers use.

Another frustrating pattern that shows itself from time to time (and a lot this season for some reason) is the one time blow-up on top, then nothing on the follow up, regardless of what is presented.

IMO, the old adage about following up with something different doesn't work any better than following up quickly with the same presentation. Perhaps that has something to do with the downtime in switching lures (or flies). I think that's where that 3rd Grip comes in handy; get right back at the bass ASAP with something pre-rigged. Something triggered that bass to strike the first time. Get right back at her quick before she thinks about it too much. If she doesn't take again, move on to the next one. You can always work your way back.

In the end, I think it all comes back to confidence, so stick with whatever gives you that mental edge.

Good discussion and probably all close to the truth.

Jim is probably right about wanting to eat and wanting to slap. A lot of times those are small fish slapping a big bait. If they are just slapping, I throw something else or change cadence.

Craig is right about trailer hooks. I'd up the percentage quite a bit more. At least 50% more fish on a trailer hook. It isn't just hooking a fish on the trailer, it's not losing the fish once it comes off a hook.

I'd also say put more hooks on the buzzbait and its funny how they end up in a fish's mouth.

That's why I love the Lucky Craft Splashtail 90 dual prop bait. You can crank it in just like a buzzbait(if the blades are tweaked to cause more noise). The trebles mean 75-90% of the strikes are fish to hand.

Course, the buzzbait excels dragging over heavy cover like laydowns without snagging.

Prefer 1/4-3/8 dual counter rotating blades myself as they can be made to knick each other and create one heck of a commotion. This commotion can be the only bite some days. Also more compact and castable. I fire them anywhere and everywhere from any direction. When the bite is on there is nothing more effecient at working cover and covering ground for numbers and size.

it's not losing the fish once it comes off a hook.

That's because the keeper hook is not locked straight. It flexes. That's the advantage of a Honeybuzz. The hook is hinged giving it the same characteristics as a keeper.

they can be made to knick each other and create one heck of a commotion. This commotion can be the only bite some days.

The Honeybuzz blade can be slightly bent to make it knock like crazy off the beads ( sounds like a lawnmower) or it can be slightly bent away from the bead and run more quietly.

That free swinging hook seems important. Here is a question for those who use trailer hooks. Can you give us some details on how you put them on?

Pointing up and use a small chunk of surgical tubing to keep them from sliding off. The gammie's I bought came with tubing but I didn't think it was narrow enough so I used my own.