Lookin' at Lakes!

Terry Dodge

I tried it this spring in my boat. The water was surprisingly stained. We didn't catch anything in the lake. We ended up exploring Waddams creek that flows into the lake and caught a rainbow trout. It was the weekend after the opener of the catchable trout program so there were still a few left. We explored a little ways up stream and there are some really nice looking riffle pool structure with some lunker structure cutbanks. I don't know if there are any smallmouth in there but it was pretty looking small water.

Guest rich mc

sule is just closer to you and has smallies, walleye nice crappie and lots of broken concrete on the shoreline , which holds more fish when the water is up.

shabbona is the best kept secret lake...shhh rich

Try the Four Lakes Forest Preserve north of Winnebago. It is C&R for Largemouth Bass. Small boats like canoes and kayaks are allowed.

Well, with all this wet stuff filling up my river every other day, I guess I'm going to have to start

fishing area lakes for awhile.mad.gif Anybody ever fish Lake Le-Aqua-Na?

I fished it once for just a bit several years ago when we were there for camping for cub scouts. Pretty weedy (milfoil?). Picked up a few bass on a black buzzbait. I liked the looks of it and wanted to explore more but no time.

The four lakes area looks pretty good too. I was there once (didn't fish) but it sure looked fishy...

Jonn,

Have you (or anybody else) ever fished or heard anything about the Baraboo River in WI?

My brother has a place right on the river but has never fished it. He always makes the short drive to Lake Wisconsin.

He's older than me so he don't listen when I tell him to stop wasting time on the lake and learn the river.

I hate lakes! (thought I was the only one)biggrin.gif

I've know a little about the Baraboo. It's had some dams removed over the past 15 years. I think I read somewhere that it was Wisconsin's longest reclaimed freeflowing river. The lower region has diverse population due to migratory fish coming up from the Wisconsin river. The upper parts and its tribs hold some trout. The mid section is about the size of the kish and does hold smallmouth bass. This river has some potential but like most rivers you probably need to pay your dues and scout out which sections are better than others.