Cast & Compare this Saturday - follow up

Cast and Compare outing - Meet at Hidden Lake forest preserve- Rte. 53 & Butterfield road- 9am to 11am , bring your new, favorite or vintage gear for a chance cast a bunch of different rods. Members can share gear, preferences & tips. I plan to grill lunch after so leave time if you can. If you missed the short rod shootout this summer I will have some of the same rods on hand.

John,

Too bad for me you started having these events right after I moved 110 miles from Hidden lake. It used to be walking distance for me. I still want to hear all the impressions that the rods make especially your experience with the Sage Bass series. Good wishes to all who are able to make it.

Guest rich mc

Since its not far from Jim J's house, he may show up.If he does he'll be throwing a hula graub on a 9wt. Keep the cameras ready, as it would be the cover shot for the next bulletin. rich

To be properly evaluated the rods involved should have flies that are typically used for smb attached rather than just a piece of yarn.Everyone attending please bring your favorite rod(s) with your favorite fly tied on.Bassbugs would be a good choice.

Ron,

You are right. We need a level playing field. Though I will not be there, I am hoping for some reports. I do not want comparisons to be biased by the differences in the fly on the line. Bassbug is a good benchmark for starters. However, bassbugs vary a lot. Big ones are 2/0 or larger. On the other end, one could argue that a #10 caddis is a bass bug when the Smallmouths get dialed in on a hatch. What is your benchmark bass bug?

Since its not far from Jim J's house, he may show up.If he does he'll be throwing a hula graub on a 9wt. Keep the cameras ready, as it would be the cover shot for the next bulletin. rich

Thumbs up on that #9!

Ron,

You are right. We need a level playing field. Though I will not be there, I am hoping for some reports. I do not want comparisons to be biased by the differences in the fly on the line. Bassbug is a good benchmark for starters. However, bassbugs vary a lot. Big ones are 2/0 or larger. On the other end, one could argue that a #10 caddis is a bass bug when the Smallmouths get dialed in on a hatch. What is your benchmark bass bug?

About 3" on a #2 Or #4 hook. Bigger for largemouth.I'm bringing the 4& 6wts I use for smb.I'll leave the 8wt used for lmb home as there should be other 8wts brought.

Eight members met for 2 1/2 hours to cast 20 or so rods & test different lines or weights. Rain made for a slow start but we had fun anyway. Didn't have to share the park although it got a little muddy. Followed up with lunch at a nearby burger joint. My pick of best rod there today was Ed's Orvis fullflex 6wt. - 70's glass & very smooth with both a 6 & 7 wt. line. Some nice fast rods too- Al's St. Croix legend Elite 7 wt. feels like a 4 & casts a mile. Honerable mention to TFO mini magnum 6-8 wt. unquestionably the most rod for the money. Any one else want to weigh in?

Eight members met for 2 1/2 hours to cast 20 or so rods & test different lines or weights. Rain made for a slow start but we had fun anyway. Didn't have to share the park although it got a little muddy. Followed up with lunch at a nearby burger joint. My pick of best rod there today was Ed's Orvis fullflex 6wt. - 70's glass & very smooth with both a 6 & 7 wt. line. Some nice fast rods too- Al's St. Croix legend Elite 7 wt. feels like a 4 & casts a mile. Honerable mention to TFO mini magnum 6-8 wt. unquestionably the most rod for the money. Any one else want to weigh in?

I will weigh in John, YikeS :rolleyes: !!! I am pushing 220. ON a serious note, though I haven't crossed over to the dark side I can't help but notice how much time and effort you have been putting in for your group. I also have seen your name and face at the fishing outings so I thought I would offer a heartfelt word of thanks for your time and commitment to ISA. Kevin Summers

Kevin, you are right! John works really hard for the ISA on events and is to be thanked.

Thanks John!

I was going to attend but I got hung up working on my Callibaetis fly. Widely distributed genus of mayfly that is commonly found in lakes - often called the "Speckled Wing Dun" because of the speckled markings on the leading edge of the adult's wings. Callibaetis are usually found in sizes 16 & 18. I thought that might be a bit small for smallmouth so I upped it to a size 3. I also had a hard time finding "Cul de Canard". For those that don't know, literally translates to "butt of the duck". Used both to refer to the feathers from the area around the oil gland of a duck and also to the flies tied with these feathers. The feathers from this area are very wispy and impregnated with natural oils making them extremely waterproof.

I may enter it in the Blowout contest. Jude needs a whippin.

Thanks for the kind comments, I must include all the members who attend; without them there wouldn't be a reason for the THANKS! Jonn we have a chair waiting, Jim I don't think cul de cunard could float a # 3 hook --- styrofoam packing peanuts maybe. Kevin lets get out by your part of the Fox someday this fall.

I enjoyed all who showed up their I lurned a lot and had fun trying out rods and weights of line and just watching some great cast and skills

I liked the min mag as well as the allbright I was lucky enoff to borrow from John

I am proud to be in-to the buggers and all they do :D:D thanks again for putting this togather