What am I doing wrong?

ryne

The last 2 times iv gone to my local stream i have been skunked. Iv always caught fish no matter what the conditions. The water has been perfect, i know the spots im fishing holds fish. Ill get a few taps but nothing id consider a strong bite. Iv tried tubes, swim jigs, jigs,spinnerbaits,grubs,hula grubs,poppers, crawbugs, stik-o, an everything else you can think of. With the rains coming i doubt ill get back out there any time soon, but im frustrated an need some advice. Its like all of a sudden theyve turned off. I figured id ask the experts here to help me out.

You may be fishing to fast or the fish have moved. I always fished the Eddies real careful making sure to hit all spots. I usually started on the upstream edge of say a large tree and worked my way around to the back or downstream side then fished the bubble line and all of the slack water inside. They are somewhere in there you just need to find them. My favorite lure on the river was a 1/16oz. Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider with a 3" BPS Watermellon Stik-O. I used that most of the time. I also used a 1/8oz. Buzz Bait in the fast water runs and caught some very aggressive fish. Another good spot is the edges of these fast water runs as the Smallmouth use it as and ambush point. I caught a bunch on the Kankakee fishing these areas. I was actually a better fisherman on that river then Norm but he won't admit it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They probably have turned off if they are spawning, and they should be by now. Bass don't feed while they are spawning. After the spawn, the males will guard the nest and chase intruders away but they are not feeding. Around 2 weeks after the females lay their eggs, they should go back to feeding.

I figured it was due to the spawn. The last fish i caught was full of eggs an ready to pop. That was about a week or so ago. My buddy went yesterday and didnt get a single smallmouth, he did catch 2 largemouths which is rare.

You might try fishing faster water out on the seam or past it and at pushes-lifts-riffles whichever to call them. Yesterday I got 2 extremely nice smallies on sucessive casts in the washout hole at the tip of a point.

You might also try both dropping down and going up in size from your usual size lures. You should also try the extreme ends of speed in your presentations.