OT disco 164 for sale or trade

seanf

I have a green OT disco 164 in very good condition and would consider trading for a canoe of equal value that would be easy to stand and bowfish out of. This boat has 3 cane seats and the stain is the darker color. Just a few normal scraps on the bottom from a some gravel bars, but in great shape. Always stored in my garage. I have purchased several kayaks and a solo boat for rivers and would like to trade for a nice stable lake canoe. I live in central Il., thanks, Sean

"a canoe of equal value that would be easy to stand and bowfish out of"

That's a tough bill to fill. Some would say,"Easy to stand = not a canoe." The OT or Grumman sportboat is what you want.

"a canoe of equal value that would be easy to stand and bowfish out of"

That's a tough bill to fill. Some would say,"Easy to stand = not a canoe." The OT or Grumman sportboat is what you want.

Yes you are correct, any canoe would be tippy. A number of manufacturers make boats for flat calm water that are wider with a flatter hull, hoping to find someone wanting a quicker boat for rivers or touring. I have a set of homemade outriggers that will allow me to stand, however it is then harder to slip through flooded timber. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you are correct, any canoe would be tippy. A number of manufacturers make boats for flat calm water that are wider with a flatter hull, hoping to find someone wanting a quicker boat for rivers or touring. I have a set of homemade outriggers that will allow me to stand, however it is then harder to slip through flooded timber. :)

You might want to try a Native Ultimate kayak/canoe hybrid. Go to Native Watercraft's website. I rented one of these down in Florida and was able to stand in it while flycasting, though I would not do it in anything but calm water. I think Gregg S or Steve K (Paddlin' Man) has one of these, so you could ask them for more info.

Ron

You might want to try a Native Ultimate kayak/canoe hybrid. Go to Native Watercraft's website. I rented one of these down in Florida and was able to stand in it while flycasting, though I would not do it in anything but calm water. I think Gregg S or Steve K (Paddlin' Man) has one of these, so you could ask them for more info.

Ron

I've got a Native Ultimate 14.5 yet unfortunately I'm not interested in a trade. I can attest to being able to stand and cast....one key benefit of this design. It is not a great open water boat. Rented one in Islamorada Florida last month and a cabin cruiser did a good job of adding water to the cockpit. Once across the channel and onto the flats it sure was fun chasing bonefish. An added bonus is the best seat in the business. Spent 12 hours on Shabbona last summer without a break and didn't even notice the seat.

Ron

Not exactly. What I do have is a 17' Wenonah Spirit II kevlar canoe which my wife and I paddle with members of the Prairie State Canoeists (when the water levels are more moderate).

When I want more stability for fishing, I attach a set of 4-foot sponses which creates a tri-hull watercraft with super stability + a trolling motor. Yes . . . this allows me to stand up to cast lures and flies, but only in calmer water.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.