One Lure- Ten Minutes To Use It!

Mike Clifford

You are standing waist deep in your favorite river early one summer morning. The sun has yet to show itself over the horizon, but you can tell it's going to be a gorgeous day.

Your buddies are spread out in this long stretch of river, and you have a $100 pool riding on who gets the first Smallie of the day- but it MUST come in the first 10 minutes, or it rolls over until the next weekend. Keep in mind, what you tie on before stepping into the river is all you can use for this time limit.

What are you throwing in this situation?

:blink:

That #7 Floating Rap in black/silver happened to get my biggest Smallie ever on a second cast of the morning. But it was not as responsive after I threw it first for 6 consecutive trips after that....LOL

Hmmm...

Judging from my own experience on first cast lures, I'm going to have to find a nice long patch of grass/weeds just off the bank and parallel cast a Rebel Teeny Wee Craw along the front of it.

Only question left is which reel to pair up with that new Falcon rod I'll be purchasing on the way home.

I am going to be using a Light Action 6'6" Spinning Rod with Power Pro 15/6 Line. My lure of chice will be a 1/16oz Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider with a 3" BPS Stick-O in Watermellon and I will be casting into the nearest Eddies and edges of the fast water.

BTW....was live bait banned from this tourney?

Well, one guy tried to grab a crawdad from under a rock the last time out, and it didn't quite work out for him (or the rest of us with all that thrashing and screaming going on, stirring up the water)- so the group decided "artificials only". ;)

You're all fighting for second place. The set-up, very early morning, in the summer and it has to happen in 10 minutes dictates a PopR topwater. I got a 20 incher last year in exactly these same conditions (except for the waist deep in a river part).

2yxhzyp.jpg

Topwater baits will call fish in from a long distance and in low light conditions, the bass have an easy time finding a noisy bait silhouetted against the sky.

Given the short amount of time, unless you threw it right on the head of a smallie, livebait just can't cover water quickly enough to put the odds in your favor.

If he was already next to the eddie, Gary might have a good chance. Of course if he was 100 yards away it could take 10 minutes to get there. And Jude's floating Rapala acts like a top water except that it's not as noisy.

Yeah, I'll go with the popper.

Bingo Scott!

Early summer morning......

My favorite river......

Not only will I get that first fish the majority of the time, it will probably be the biggest of the day.

2vlsjv5.jpg

Only one simple adjustment; have a Skitter-Prop rigged up.

314owus.jpg

I can cast it further, cover more water, and make more noise. Personally, I have found that I'll have more success with a topwater in current if it is always moving and always making noise. There aren't too many pregnant pauses in my technique. I still use the popper, but I always start and most times finish with the propbait.

I had just posted, asking why a fly wouldn't catch a fish in ten minutes time- then I saw your response Joseph and deleted mine...LOL

Come on Bassbuggers- whadda ya got?

OH- and Scott has the right idea here.

We want pictures. The lure, the fish...whatever.

Or the group turns you upside down and steals your lunch money. = )

(I better go find a photo then...HA)

I almost said I'd use a walk-the-dog bait like a Sammy, Zara Spook or my new favorite, the Skitter Walk. All of them cast a mile and that Skitter Walk is the easiest bait to walk that I've ever used. Current is not always your friend with walk-the-dog baits so if I had to tie it on before I got in the water... But, I had to add the confidence factor which tipped in the Pop-R's favor.

Scott

I bought the "Walk" last season and did well with it. At first it seemed kind of big compared to the Skitter-Pop I had been throwing. It can cast a mile and it makes quite a splash. Definitely a big bass bait. The Prop is about the same size but doesn't seem as heavy. It's probably the rattle.

I still like to make noise though. :)

If its my favorite river then a 3" pumpkin power leech on a 1/8 ounce slider head. Average time to first fish is right around 2 minutes. Thats including the walk from my car to the water. First cast infront of some logs will usually do it.

I'd then buy some catch and release signs for the river and a couple garbage cans to put where the people fish the most.

From a fly guy:

Gold sparkleminnow, weighted to go a foot below the surface. On the small side for dinks: size 10 wide gap hook (that TMC? hook, not a deer hair bass bug hook). Fished with a long-ish cast long along a long-ish current break, retrieved just slightly faster than current to keep contact.

-jamie S

I'll tie on a 1/4oz Shakey Head jig, and texas rig a 3.25" Green Pumpkin Yum Crawbug on it. Then I'd pinch off the claws (but leave the arms attached), and pinch off all but 1/2" of the feelers. To wake up the sleepers...... I'd shove a tube rattle up it's butt!

That will catch any sized smallie anywhere in the river! Show me the money! :P

I would have to say an 1/8 ounce yellow jig with a white 2 inch mister twister tail in shallow water.

This is my "go to" bait.

My second choice would be a 2 inch sinking rapala in black and silver, especially if I'm faced with a good pool. I've gotten good size fish with it...no 20's but 12 to 15 inchers...

Good luck

Wouldn't ya know it...I had to attend a meeting in Momence this morning and had right about 10 minutes to throw something in the river.

Went right for the Teeny Wee Craw. Found an ideal situation with weeds extending a couple of feet beyond the bank, with a current seam 5 feet out from there- essentially a "spot on a spot". I would normally find something in front of a typical weedline anyway, and now we have a great staging area, with food washing through it.

FIRST cast- 10" Smallmouth.

Second cast- rock bass hits it right at my feet in the rocks.

Anybody got change for a $100 bill?

First cast last night, 12" on my Skitter Prop. Within 5 casts, I caught 2, lost 2, and had one "blow" at it.

If I could walk up to the spot I want to fish, and under the right conditions, I can't think of a better way to find the active fish than with a topwater.

I'll take that bet any time........

As long as its not against any of you!

A lot of times, those smallies are moving up into those shallows to nail those crayfish heading home that were out feeding all night (maybe they were there at night too?). I don't think the crayfish are floating home..............

Still, I like my topwater as a search lure and will start most summer days off with it. This summer, I started every day with it.

So then what is the theory behind a topwater early and late? What exactly do they represent?

I wish I had the confidence to use them more often, I really do.

Used to just have a ball with the Zara Spook as recently as a few years ago.

Started throwing buzzbaits until my arm was ready to fall off, and ran into a bad season-never went back.

Maybe I should.

I usually catch them on topwaters all day long. As for what they represent, probably baitfish, maybe a frog or a RAT! I think sometimes they will hit it because they are active and feeding and it looks like food. Other times, it may be out of reaction. Its funny how I can work an area, get my fish or strikes, then it slows or stops. If the pool looks like it could hold more or a better fish, I'll switch to a YUM crawbug and often get a few more.

It really is a confidence thing with me. It's also a lot of fun, takes little effort (other than pinpoint casting at times) and mostly snag free (still trying to reclaim one just out of reach of my 7 footer). I have gotten lazy these days, but I also average larger bass then on plastics. I would rather catch 1 decent bass than 10 smaller ones. When a smaller one whacks the topwater, I admire him for his spunk.