Renzetti vs. Dyna-King

SKollmann

Earlier this year, I polled ISA members about fly tying vices. Now it's time to make my final decision!

Most ISA fly tyers have endorsed Renzetti. Follow up question . . . Renzetti has several models, including the Traveler 2200 Series as well as Presentation Series Cam 2000, 3000, and 4000. Would appreciate clarification from you Renzetti owners re. the models you own and are using.

Renzetti good choice.

I bought a 2000 series in 2006 and typically tie size 2 thru 16 flys and the cam action holds them all.

And what can I say about the rotary feature "It is so nice not to have to stand on your head when doing work on the back side of the fly" :)

Sants dropped a Renzetti Traveler Rotary on my Fly Tying table for Xmas and I just love it. Like Steve said, it is much easier onthe neck and I can tie 18 t0 3/0 and have done it a lot easier with the rotary feature. I believe the Dyna King is equal in quality and features but the Traveler and yhe price was right--free from santa.

Steve,

Before you make your final ($$) decision. I have a suggestion for you. Pick a favorite fly pattern (or 2) that you like to tie a lot, take the materials for it and go to a Fly shop like One More Cast (my favorite) or Trout & Grouse up by you. Ask to use several of their vises (Renzetti, Dyna-King, Regal, etc.), especially the one your are interested in purchasing. Then, sit down and tie the same fly pattern on each of the vises. You might be surprised at the result of this experiment. I was all set to buy a Renzetti Traveler, but after doing the above experiment, I found that I really prefered tying on the Dyna-King. I am Not recommending one vise over another, it's just that you should try the options and decide for yourself. Avoid 'Buyer's Remores' and don't rely on someone else's preferences, especially when spending a good amount of money.

One other suggestion, if you use the services of a Fly shop to determine what kind of vise you want to buy, purchase the vise from the Fly shop and not 'on-line' or at a 'big box' store. You will get much better service from the Fly shop than from the others.

Good hunting!

Cory

PS) Hope to tie with you soon with your new vise.

Steve,

Before you make your final ($$) decision. I have a suggestion for you. Pick a favorite fly pattern (or 2) that you like to tie a lot, take the materials for it and go to a Fly shop like One More Cast (my favorite) or Trout & Grouse up by you. Ask to use several of their vises (Renzetti, Dyna-King, Regal, etc.), especially the one your are interested in purchasing. Then, sit down and tie the same fly pattern on each of the vises. You might be surprised at the result of this experiment. I was all set to buy a Renzetti Traveler, but after doing the above experiment, I found that I really prefered tying on the Dyna-King. I am Not recommending one vise over another, it's just that you should try the options and decide for yourself. Avoid 'Buyer's Remores' and don't rely on someone else's preferences, especially when spending a good amount of money.

One other suggestion, if you use the services of a Fly shop to determine what kind of vise you want to buy, purchase the vise from the Fly shop and not 'on-line' or at a 'big box' store. You will get much better service from the Fly shop than from the others.

Good hunting!

Cory

PS) Hope to tie with you soon with your new vise.

Excellent idea, Cory . . . in fact, for one who aims to be an informed consumer before making large purchases, your idea hits the mark. Thanks for you input . . . and thanks to others who took the time to respond to my inquiry. Can't vouch for tying with you soon tho (darn it!) . . . too much tennis. Then again . . . can't get enough physical exercise at my age.

Steve

Steve,

I have a Dyna-King Jr. Trekker that I'd lend to you for a couple weeks if you want to see how it is.

Wow, Nick . . . now that's an offer any ISA member with a right mind would not refuse! Most appreciative! Appears you live in Skokie, and I live not far away in Northbrook. In return for your kind offer, I like to reciprocate and offer to have you join me on a fishing expedition in my 17' canoe, complete with sponses for added stability and a trolling motor. How about the Skokie Lagoon sometime this Spring?!?

Will be sending you a PM over the weekend in hopes we can connect shortly. Stay tuned . . . and thanks again, Nick!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the renzetti cam travler on a pedistal and LOVE it!! dont think I'll ever have to buy a new one!!

Joe