spinning set up

scotth

hey guys, new to this site.

going to try and stick with plastics this year. been reading lots of good things about tubes and grubs and worms for smallies. just curious on what ACTION ROD//LINE would be good. i'm covered on the reel, have several different sizes to use depending on line size.

thanks,

scott

Bradley, Illinois

Hey Scott, I see you're another RS'r. The action rating on rods are not the same for every company. I use a lot of plastics and I prefer a medium light action. Ratings for 6 to 12 pound test line. I also choose rods that have a good amount of backbone. That is, there is not a lot of flex near the handle. If you are looking at higher end rods, most will also tell you the speed. I prefer a fast tip action, but not too fast. That seems to be a good compromise that let's me throw a wide range of weights with only one rod.

A light action 6'6" rod with a light action reel spooled with Power Pro 15/6 and tie on a 1/16oz. Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider and a Bass Pro Shop 3" Watermellon Stick-O. I used this exclusively when I waded the rivers of Illinois before I retired to Missouri.

Scott,

I use a 7 foot medium heavy Techna Av with a Quantum pti 40 reel and 17lb test Mccoys or Trilene XL for crankbaits, spinnerbaits and plastics. Works just fine in the faster harder flow out in our backyard, lets me land fish without exhausting them.

I like line in 8-10# test range for river smallies. You will need a medium action rod or stiffer to get good hooksets if you use mono. Especially if you fish with the hook weedless inside the plastic. If you use the superlines or braids (fireline, powerpro) you can get away with lighter action rods. Actually you should use lighter action rods because they will compensation for the lack of stretch in the line.

Longer rods are nice for keeping your line up out of the current. They aren't always practical though. I like shorter rods when hiking through the woods, fishing small streams with overhanging trees or when fishing out of a canoe or kayak.

I like the same rod for every application. Repetition breeds familiarity. Make adjustments in drag and hook sharpness for other applications.

For plastics etc... all. St.Croix Avid 6'9" ML XF has served very well. Lots of backbone and castability. The last 18" or so bends. Lighter sensitive blank is great for fighting fish and sensistivity.

I fish some small streams and bank pound off a lot of high banks 3-5' up. A longer rod lets you sling closer to the water under overhanging branches. Skips lures under cover like crazy, so the rod length doesn't hurt. Casts should begin and end well below your shoulders. The length helps when you need to launch long or get under bramble from a high bank.