Marc Miller Appointed New DNR Chief

Mike Clifford

FYI- Marc has been a long-time ISA member as well as having indisputable credentials for the job!

SPRINGFIELD — Gov. Pat Quinn today announced the appointment of natural resources professional and conservationist Marc Miller as director of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Miller had been senior policy adviser and liaison to the Illinois River Coordinating Council for the Office of Lieutenant Governor.

“Marc Miller is an expert in managing and protecting our state’s precious natural resources and will run a very professional agency,” Quinn said. “In addition, Marc is an avid outdoorsman dedicated to promoting the public’s safe use and greater understanding of our state’s parks, waterways and other natural resources.”

Miller, 39, joined then Lt. Gov. Quinn’s staff in June 2004. During that time, he was instrumental in development and implementation of many environmental programs. They include: The Dam Safety Initiative and the Mud-to-Parks program, which promoted the beneficial reuse of river settlement.

Miller is also an avid outdoorsman with an interest in fly fishing, hunting, canoeing, wildlife viewing, camping and hiking. He currently lives in Springfield with his wife Debbie.

“I am honored Governor Quinn has named me to lead this important state agency,” Miller said. “I will dedicate myself to managing, protecting and sustaining Illinois’ natural resources.

In making this appointment, Quinn stressed the key role the state’s natural resources and parks play in promoting tourism and growing the Illinois economy. Quinn also urged everyone to take advantage of the great outdoors.

“Everybody should get out and enjoy our state parks and other vast natural resources,” Quinn said. “This is especially true of our children. We want no child left inside.”

The department’s 16 divisions are responsible for the management of everything from Illinois’ rivers and streams to its mines and minerals. The department also manages and maintains approximately 328 state owned or leased sites encompassing over 450,000 acres that are visited by more than 43 million people each year.

This is what we have been waiting for In Illinois! Someone that understands the needs of it's residents and the people that they serve. My hat is off to Gov. Quinn and a big Congratulations to Marc Miller with this appointment Illinois is on its way to becoming a destination of fisherman and not a starting point. What a monumental appointment this is.

I have seen Marc speak at everything from pollution permit training workshops to conferences in the state capitol.

He is a phenomenal speaker on just about any topic you can think of in conservation.

Let's not forget his dedication at the State Fair over the last several years when we brought our Kids Casting kit, as guests of Mr. Quinn's office.

100_1245.jpg

This was in today's Chicago Tribune.

"Candidate for Illinois parks job says he will open 7 sites closed by Rod Blagojevich

Gov. Pat Quinn nominated former aide Marc Miller for Department of Natural Resources post

By Ashley Rueff | Tribune reporter

February 6, 2009

SPRINGFIELD — Seven state parks shuttered under the Blagojevich administration will reopen "as soon as possible," Gov. Pat Quinn's pick to lead the Illinois Department of Natural Resources said Thursday.

The appointment of Marc Miller, a senior aide to Quinn when he was lieutenant governor, came one day after the new governor fired former Rep. Kurt Granberg (D-Carlyle). Then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich had given Granberg the job a few weeks ago after Blagojevich's Dec. 9 arrest but before his removal from office late last month.

Quinn said he hoped Granberg does not receive a major pension increase because of his brief time at the agency. State pension officials have said the matter is under review.

Quinn said he wanted a "natural resource professional" to oversee state parks."I saw firsthand in my last five years how dedicated Marc is to clean water, open space, clean air and protecting the opportunity of people to have an outdoors that's really special," Quinn said.

Miller, 39, of Springfield still has to be confirmed by the Senate.

Also Thursday, Quinn signed a bill to restore more than $9 million in environmental funding that Blagojevich had cut. That move will prevent Illinois from losing an additional $15 million in federal wildlife funding, a Quinn spokesman said.

arueff@tribune.com