Deer Hair Basics

John Loebach

Start at 10am to 2 pm. Event at One More Cast fly shop 6525 Joliet Rd. Countryside- Host Joseph Myers 708/482-4990. Cory Gayle & Michael Taylor will work on technique to spin,pack & shape deer hair bugs or heads. Focus on practice & hands on instruction with some repetition with the goal of finishing a floating bass bug. Bring tools & gel spun thread 120 or 200 deneir. Tools & thread will be available to purchase. Plan to chip in a few bucks for hooks, hair & lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're still accepting last minute registrants, please add me to the roster, John.

Well, John . . . forgot to check my wife's calendar, only to find she had us committed with another outing today. If, by chance, you shared any printed material during this session, would appreciate your bringing copies along for me with we set up the ISA display at the forthcoming Great Waters Fly Show. Thanks . . . and trust you guys had a great time at this special event.

Event went well - 9 in attendance sucsessfully tied two deer hair bugs, one stacked the other spun. Good to see Dave Franklin from downstate & a new member joined( bernie p). Thanks for a great class to Michael & Cory, from opposite ends of the table they split time & comments so smoothly I thought it was rehersed.

Having missed today's event (darn it), I noted on the Fly Fish Ohio website that Joe Cornwall includes a "Tap's Bug" deer hair jig with step-by-step visual + narrative instructions as well as a video presentation during which he illustrates tying the jig. Does this somewhat replicate either the stacked or spun hair jig you tied today?

It was a fun event. John Loebach deserves thanks for coordinating the event as do Corey Gale and Michael Taylor for serving as instructors. We should also thank One More Cast for letting us use their shop for the event.

I learned enough to go home and use my newly learned skills to tie a passable muddler minnow. It will take some practice to get decent at tying deer hair flies. Here are a few pictures from Saturday.

It was my pleasure to have partnered with Cory on this event. John Loebach is a trooper and organizes an event like no other. Thanks to One More Cast as well.

I tip my ISA cap to all who decided to give deer hair a try that day. Learning the techniques of creating a bass bug is daunting to say the least and requires hours of dedication. It's not for everyone, but for those who can't get enough of spinning or stacking, it's a labor of love.