Chicago Region Meeting

Guest Don R

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anglin's talk was very interesting.This year I plan on trying out his strategy of using aggressive, rhythmic retrieves designed to provoke strikes from neutral/negative fish by stirring their instinct to simply kill something when not otherwise interested in feeding.Also interesting was his lack of emphasis on the big lure=big fish theory.None of the flies he showed as examples of what he uses including the deerhair bassbug were big.When I asked him about this afterwards he said that while he does use somewhat larger fles when he fishes by himself for bigger smb than those he typically recommends to his clients he and they have done very well for big ones with the smaller flies too which also provide more action by appealing to smaller ones as well.

I wasn't able to make the meeting, but what Ron said about retrieves is interesting.

On one of the few occasions I was successful with topwaters on the Kankakee, I was ripping a buzzbait and not getting anything to pop.

As soon as I changed it up and started "twitching" it in erratic patterns, the fish were on fire.

Not lengthy pauses between twitches either, just split second rests.

I wasn't able to make the meeting, but what Ron said about retrieves is interesting.

On one of the few occasions I was successful with topwaters on the Kankakee, I was ripping a buzzbait and not getting anything to pop.

As soon as I changed it up and started "twitching" it in erratic patterns, the fish were on fire.

Not lengthy pauses between twitches either, just split second rests.

The gist of Anglin's talk was to change retrieves if the one being used isn't producing whether you're fishing on or below the surface.He believes that while a slow more deliberate retrieve is effective for fish willing to feed an aggressive retrieve is best to excite the killer instinct in neutral/negative fish.He emphasized the importance of maintaining a precise and identical rhythm and cadence when aggressively retrieving in order to provoke disinterested fish,i.e.perform the same #+ length of strips and the same amount of time between strips thruout each cast and from cast to cast.The retrieve's predictability will help to trigger a respnse.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad the monthly meetings aren't held at Dick's in Schaumburg to make the venue more inclusive (in terms of distance) for those of us in the northern suburbs. Another fishing association of which I'm a member (Arlington Anglers) meets at Dick's and draws attendees from southern, western and northern suburbs. Just a thought.